Listermann's Bulk Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
I noticed that listermann's has "Extra Light Bulk Extract Canadian" for $2.15 a pound. Anybody brewed with this stuff? Especially with free shipping on orders over $35 that is significantly cheaper than anything else around and almost as cheap as brewing all grain... I still plan to setup for grain but until then, I'm curious about this stuff. It almost seems too cheap and makes me wonder about the quality...

link

Actually, I've been brewing with Listermann's kits exclusively for my first 3 batches. They are my local brew supply house and they tell me that their extract turns over very frequently so that it is fresh. They draw the bulk extract out of large barrels when you buy the kits there. One thing I did just notice is that they actually use the SAME 3 bulk extracts in all of their kits:

English Light
Canadian Light
Wheat

Even their stout kits use light malt syrup. Is that right?

The first kit I brewed, an ESB, had 6lbs of Canadian Light and 2 lbs of English light. It didn't turn out too well...had an extracty flavor to it and didn't taste like an ESB (could have been my fault, as I think I may not have properly sanitized the bottles I used). The next kit, their Sam Adams Lager clone, had 3.5lb each of English and Canadian extract. I kegged that batch and have it on tap nowe and it is fantastic. I have their Winter Warmer kit in primary right now, and it contained 6lbs Canadian Light and 2lbs corn sugar. I wil rack to secondary this weekend and can report back on flavor then.

The ingredients for all of their kits can be found here for those that are curious. http://www.listermann.com/PDF/Index.asp

Now, my question is: Should I be buying different types of extract for the different beers I brew, or will a combination of the bulk extracts they use get me "close enough"?

smath said:
Now, my question is: Should I be buying different types of extract for the different beers I brew, or will a combination of the bulk extracts they use get me "close enough"?

I've given up on extract-only brewing. So, since I don't have an all-grain setup right now, I do partial-mash recipes. They've turned out MUCH better, so far, than the extract-w/steeping recipes that I used to do. I wouldn't rely on malt extract for the flavoring in my beers...I'd either steep very heavily, or do like I did, and move on to partial mash. It takes a little longer, but the quality improvement is WELL worth it.

That right there will eliminate any "extracty" taste from your finished brews. But, if you're not ready to move to partial mash, then, please, steep crushed grains prior to adding extract.

You can make any beer by starting with light extracts. In fact, by using specialty grains and light extract, you'll probably like the results better.

Yeah, I just ordered some bulk extract from Listermann, which I didn't even know existed before this morning. $2.15/lb is just too cheap. Got 10 lbs of extra light and 10 lbs of wheat. Hell yeah...and free shipping east of the mississip! Nice!

Back