Just saw Star Trek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard there is a twist at the start and was kind of leery about it, but I've heard nothing but praise from everyone who's seen it. I really need to figure out how to see it this weekend.

+1, great film. The fx were stunning, the humor/banter was spot on, and the casting choices were ideal.

I took the kids to the first show last night. There is something special about seeing the first showing of a cult type film. The audience fully understands the all nuances, and really makes the whole show an event.

Majel Barret even made it into the credits, as the voice of the computer. It would hardly be Trek without her. :cool:

Two nights ago I told my 14 daughter that we should see the new ST movie this weekend. She said "Yeah! I don't know anything about Star Trek..."

Made me feel like I have failed as a father. So I downloaded the first couple of episodes of the Original Series.

From Netflicks, of course.

*psst* The MPAA has spies everywhere.....

Well, it wasn't on Dish PPV so I had to do Netflix. But then I didn't know that my (ex) brother-in-law left all of his ST tapes and DVDs with my sister and her kids, so I could have just drove the 3 blocks and picked them up.

I had no idea that Yeoman Janice Rand was so hot! I must have been pretty young when I watched these on TV. And their skirts were so low!

Abrams did an absolutely amazing job. Anyone who grew up with the original series (me) will be blown away by the sheer number of callbacks. Blade Runner just got kicked out on its ass as the best SF movie of all time IMO.

SWMBO and I went to see this today -- I was quite happy with it. She loved it.

You can see the influences of B5 and Battlestar Galactica in the visual effects and model design. The actor who played McCoy DOMINATED the screen when he was on.

If the sequel was playing in the next theatre, I would have shelled out the money to see it right then and there.

Good Job JJ.
I cannot wait till the Blue-Ray version with all the extras.

Admittedly i have never been a big fan of Star Trek but i thought this movie was AWESOME!!!

funny thing is, that I used to write screenplays for a hobby.
I put it away years ago.
but a few hours ago, I pulled up an old Spec script that I had on a backup drive.

It was a treatment for a Sci-Fi film that I never finished.

I'm going to finish it.
maybe that will lead to me finishing the 14 other scripts I have in limbo.

Movies make sense to me again.
They haven't for a long time.

I absolutely loved it, and will definitely see it again in the theater. But... do there have to be goddamn LENS FLARES everywhere? That's really my only complaint. I mean seriously, lens flare INDOORS?

My friend says his wife will not see it. Before they got married she said she will never go see a movie with "Star" in the title.

I guess she is missing out! Trying to get to the theater this weekend.

Effing excellent!! I really liked how Pine, 'Sylar', and Karl Urban mimicked Shatner/Nimoy/Kelly's mannerisms without being exactly like them. Karl Urban did a BADA$$ McCoy and Simon Peg always cracks me up!! Definitely a must-see. Abrams made up for that failure-waste-of-my-time Cloverfield.

I didn't mind Cloverfield, but it surely did not live up to the hype!

Thankfully, Star Trek does, and even more! I was very impressed with the subtleties that each actor gave to the characters, that reminded you of the original characters so much.

I had no recollection of the fact that Uhura crushed on Spock, but after watching the first couple of original episodes, then the movie, I guess I was just to young to notice that back in the day on reruns.

I never watched Star Trek, but HWMO is a huge fan, so I knew we'd be going to see this. I thought it was awesome, and I would be happy to see it again in the theatres.

And if McCoy back then had looked like this
Karl_Urban-Star_Trek.jpg

I would have been a fan long, long ago. :D

[Mod edit: threads combined]
Forgive me for not searching for another thread on this. Saw Star Trek today. Loved it! SWMBO even liked it and she hates star trek. Now I am no trekkie by any stretch of the imagination but I love the shows and movies. Well some of the movies anyway. And this was done really well. My only complaint is the way they made the Romulan's look. Reminded me of the reavers off firefly. Other than that it was excellent. Simon Pegg was awesome as scotty.

On a side note has anyone seen the trailer for the new Tim burton movie? 9? I must say I was never a fan of his movies, but the trailer made this look pretty slick.

Back