Wyeast 1214

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlauncha

Reaction score
When pitching my yeast, I discovered that only 1 of 2 inner pouches had broken in the "smack-pack." Is this a problem? Should I pitch new yeast? :confused:

I just used a Wyeast slap pack for the first time but mine only had one packet in it. Mine was a Wyeast 1272 I used in an IPA just in the fermenter! Are they that different?

I'm really not sure. From the look of it, I don't think mine was supposed to have 2 inner pouches. They were attached and one of them would have been impossible to break as it was seamed to the other.

Mine is bubbling away just fine even after only about 8 hours. Actually, my first batch I used a dry yeast that took overnight to start cooking! I was surprised at the speed of activity using this yeast!! Good luck!

Same thing just happened with my Wyeast 1214 the other day. Only one broke and the package didn't swell like it usually does. However, I made a starter so it didn't matter. I don't remember having 2 packs together in my Wyeast before. It was fresh yeast, April 7, so I know it wasn't a yeast problem.

Sounds like you had two packets inside instead of one. Even if neither had broken though, you would still be OK. The packet is just an energy drink for the yeast.

all of my 1214's have taken a while to get going in the smack pack...

last one for a Trippel, I made a 2 liter starter and the brew was bubbling 2 hours after pitching... :)

Back