$1k windfall what should I blow it on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmpolesov

Reaction score
I've got a $1k windfall (bonus at work) and saving it is out of the question given inflation and the general economic situation, I think it makes more sense to spend it now.

I was thinking of a fermenator.

Or perhaps an all grain set-up.

I'll go for AG setup.

I'm not completely sure what I need exactly, because of the variation in setus. i.e. I see on some sites, rubbermaid coolers used as both HLT and MLT. I guess the minimum I would need is two rubbermaids and a SS kettle for heating the water, and for the boil, right? Some people go with two SS and a rubbermaid, etc?

If you don't already have it, fermentation temperature control would be at the top of my list - craigslist freezer and a digital temp. controller. You'll have plenty $$$ left over for other things as well...

Huge keezer and a much larger batch size setup. Hey, I'm actually working on doing just that, so to make things easier, just donate it to me and I'll send some beer as a toll each time I brew. ;)

ErikH said:
If you don't already have it, fermentation temperature control would be at the top of my list - craigslist freezer and a digital temp. controller. You'll have plenty $$$ left over for other things as well...

+1

My beers have made a noticeable improvement now that I can ferment at proper temps. I use a Digital controller from Love Controls ($49) and I tape the sensor to my bucket fermenter. It's great to be able to ferment precisely at 65 degrees. The first couple of days, the bucket will generate enough heat for a 10 degree differential, so ambient temp in the freezer is 55 degrees, but my beer is bubbling along at 65. Once it slows down, the differential eventually equalizes for the remainder of the process.

This makes it very easy even if you are not in a hot climate.

Already got the kegerator. It seems like AG and/or temp cotrol setup is the next step.

What is the minimal setup I would need for AG? Two rubbermaids, SSs hose or false bottom, and an AL or SS brew kettle?

you could probably get both the temp controller and an AG setup with a G. If I were going to go AG with that kind of money I'd go with two SS kettles but thats just me. . . Still getting parts together to do a partial mash. :-( on that note I scored an 8 gal rubbermaid for free.

vmpolesov said:
Already got the kegerator. It seems like AG and/or temp cotrol setup is the next step.

What is the minimal setup I would need for AG? Two rubbermaids, SSs hose or false bottom, and an AL or SS brew kettle?
My minimum setup is two keggles (one boil and one HLT), a cooler with a stainless braid for batch sparging (get a 10 gallon min) A copper immersion chiller, a digital scale (goes to 13 pounds) and a Barley Crusher. I still ferment in 7.9 gallon buckets with lids (get them at Austin Home Brew). The keggle on the right is my HLT and the bucket in front of it is graduated in 1/2 gallon increments on one side and liters on the other. I use it to add my mash and sparge water to the cooler/MLT. I then use gravity to go to the boil keggle, and gravity from the boil kettle to two bucket fermenters. Then it's off the fermenter/freezer.

BrewSetup.jpg

Back