What's up with your name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowblind5150

Reaction score
Someone made a comment about my name: snowblind5150 and it got me wondering if your forum name got picked based on anything meaningful to you or if it wound up being based on a random string of available characters.

5150 is the police code for escaped mental patient, and snowblind is a condition where you become unable to see from prolonged exposure to light reflecting from snow.

My family thinks I'm crazy because when it snows, all I want to do is go snowboarding. Hence: snowblind5150.

What's up with your name?

That's clever. I chose geek_chaser because my husband and I are huge geeks. Appearantly a geek chaser is like a chubby chaser, but for geeks. That and when I think of a chaser, I think beer. So it has two meanings to me.

Well,since I made mention of what the numbers in your name mean snowblind,I'll tell y'all mine. It means "union rodder" not union rider. I belong to the same UAW local my father did. And we we're both hot rodders,hence unionrdr. Occasionally mistaken by Ispell & other spell checkers as "uniondr",which is totally wrong. Nor does it mean I'm a Northern sympathizer. You have to join the union to work at Ford,etc.

Mine came from my undergrad days. I rushed to turn in a research thesis and on the way there, I fumbled it. They were doing construction at the time and the binder got really dusty.

My professor reluctantly accepted the binder, but said this in a Czech accent, "Rodel, this is inadequate. You cannot be a dirty chemist. "

Boo ya.

In all honesty. I thought this name up as an Xbox Gamertag and it has stuck since. It doesn't really mean anything in particular.

i think mine is self explanatory... but i will say for the uninitiated. it means to take a small drink from a beverage. this is often called a sip. being that beer is so tasty i dare you to take Just a SIP :mug:

Spent 5 years as a coffee roaster. Somewhere along the line my boss left a roasters note and referred to me as roastquake. An earthquake of roast. I believe it was shortly after an earth-shaking day of heavy roasting to fill urgent orders.

Lumpy is derived from my last name Lemp. I used to drink Labatt 50. I used Lumpy50 originally online but ran into other 50 so I changed that to 5oh

I've got a long Scottish surname that starts "McQ".

My Dad jokingly called his hunting camp "Camp McQ" once and I made him a sign that said that.. so it's stuck.

When I built my home pub, not being very creative, I started calling it "Pub McQ".

So when I started brewing again... "BrewMcQ".

But only because I really suck when it comes to making up names. :)

I've got a long Scottish surname that starts "McQ".

My Dad jokingly called his hunting camp "Camp McQ" once and I made him a sign that said that.. so it's stuck.

When I built my home pub, not being very creative, I started calling it "Pub McQ".

So when I started brewing again... "BrewMcQ".

But only because I really suck when it comes to making up names. :)

now I'm wondering about your real name. McQueen, McQuay, McQaurrie

As an Oakland Athletics fan I'm used to any half-decent player being traded away, so when my in-laws wanted to get me a team jersey and asked what name I wanted on it I chose PTBNL (player to be named later - the as-yet undetermined makeweight in a big trade).

When I started brewing everyone wanted to know what my beer would be called, and since I hadn't figured that out yet I started answering BTBNL. And then when I signed up here I figured the first B could equally well stand for brewer.

This was one of the first screen names I ever had in my on-line history so I stuck with it. The extra 'I' is not a tricky pronunciation but it was the second attempt to make a brewsky-like name and it stuck.

Not very original ( especially on HBT) but I tried it and it stuck and I was too lazy to change it (20 yrs ago, same as today)

Retired Ballistic Missile Submarine Sailor.
subsailor is what I use here and only here, everywhere else it's subsailor618

618 refers to my first boat: USS Thoimas Jefferson SSBN618(G) Gold Crew

I suppose I should see about aligning it with all the other places I go.

it was a nickname given to me after I got a hold of the other guy's sawed off handle end of an aluminum bat he loved so much. good thing I didn't get a hold of the guy with the red brick first. bwahahaha!!

0605090842.jpg

The neighbor mechanic down the street called me 'kid'
The first electrician I worked for called me 'kid'
My name is William, so I've been called Billy the 'kid' most of my life.
When I took up firearms, I shot a 10mm GLOCK while everyone else was shooting the '40
One day some years ago, an older gentleman at the club hollered out "What the hell is that hand cannon kid"? Why it's a 10mm sir.:D

So I'm the10mmKid

RDG stands for reading where I grew up 529 was the address number of where my band got their start (I was not allowed to use the band name in my profile because of legal bullspit) mushmouth is the band but a few guys sold their sole to the devil in 2000 and renamed the band Out To Win. 529 was also known as unisound. There you have it RDG529

I started using troy2000 back in the nineties. Troy's my first name, and I got tired of trying to sign up using it and having sites tell me it was taken, then offer alternatives like troy143, troy87, etc. So I just went with a big number, figuring I'd leapfrog past all the other Troys...

Been using it ever since. A year or two ago on a gun forum some twit tried to get snotty about it, telling me that Y2k was long gone and I should stop living in the past.:drunk:

gatty is my first initial and last name, which was what was on all of our warm-ups through school. gatty has been taken as far as a username on anything i've tried to join. my girlfriend suggested gattyyyy with the extra y's and i've just used it ever since.

I started using it as my xbox gamertag and it's stuck ever since. My initials are DW which is where DDub comes from and duder was something my friend blurted out while I was making the name and it was funny so I used it.

The Mrs. used to watch a little guy five days a week and whenever he saw me he'd say, "Hi, Mikey" but sounded more like Hamaki.

Funny. This is really close to how mine came about, but it was from my son who, when first learning to talk, would pronounce my name Chad R********
as "chawagi."

Back