Apple jack hack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
So- I'm a very small scale brew guy- a few gallon carboys for cider and a few two gallons for beer. I want to make apple jack, but- I'm always hesitant to make applejack. To satisfy my curiosity, could I buy commercial hard cider and make some?

I tried a very small batch with a couple of bottles of Woodchuck-- poured them in a 1 quart plastic soda bottle, froze in the freezer, turned upside down and drained. I stuck a long thin fillet knife up the middle of the ice block first to try and make kind of a path for the good stuff to come out.

It was very tasty-- would've been nice to have been colder, but winter is coming for that :))

I just made some from a batch of apple cider I made that I wasn't too enthused about. I put it in 2 liter soda bottles, filled them about 3/4 full then into the freezer for at least 24 hours. Once totally frozen I inverted it over a big Gulp cup and let it drain for about 20 minute. Each 2 liter bottle produced about 8 oz of Apple Jack.

Tastes pretty good!

Back