Software available

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, for advocating illegal activities, like underage brewing, distilling and software pirating/theft.
Advocating and debating are two different things,for example there is nothing wrong in discussing if distilling should be legalized.

1. Use the debate forum if you want to debate
2. Follow the rules of the forum as set by the forum's administrator
3. I think it's bad form and immature to use an alias username when you are obviously another user here. You've got two posts and they are here. You joined a brewing forum to debate intellectual property law? Stop hiding, act like an adult.

Back on topic . . . .

Does anyone else do this? I use Beersmith, print out the worksheet, put it in a notebook and make handwritten notes on it for each batch. I keep them in chronological order and in my brewery area.

IMHO I have used beersmith, and beer tools and Brewzor calculator, and frankly none of them are wonderful. You'd think there's one brewer out there who's also a computer genius that could make a GUI that doesn't look like it was put together using Win 3.1.

I don't want to learn some over-complex, counter-intuitive software....is simple point-click with big shiny buttons just too much to ask? I'd rather focus on my brewing that fuss with a machine.

*plink, plink*

Hello.

I would like to point your attention to this small very usefull free software, Brew Friend, that a friend of mine, Søren Tygesen, has made. Its been available for a few years on my homepage, and is now in version 3.50.
As we live in Denmark it uses the metric system, but its in english. It will run on windows if you have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.

Get "Brew Friend" here a bit down on the page.

http://www.larchris.dk/program.htm

The page is in danish, but You can use Google translate to translate the page from Danish to English.

Sørens description of how to install:

The program is packaged in a zip file to be extracted to a folder. Are you using Windows Vista or 7, I recommend to unpack the program to either your desktop or root of a drive on your PC. The program started by double clicking the file "Brew friend.exe", located in the folder.
Do you want to have easy access to the program from your desktop?: Go into the folder you extracted to and right click on the file "Brew friend.exe" Select "Send To" menu that appears. Then select "Desktop (create shortcut)". Then you have the program remain on your desktop.

If you like the software, or have a comment, please write Søren. His mail address is on the "about" tab in "Brew Friend"

Regards (and mind me my bad english)
Lars Reinholdt Christensen
Denmark
www.larchris.dk

I have been using this software for several weeks now and it just up and stopped working. I get:
EventType : clr20r3 P1 : brewmate.exe P2 : 1.0.0.0 P3 : 4dab6f89
P4 : mscorlib P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4d352e63 P7 : c42 P8 : 59
P9 : system.formatexception

I have tried everything (I can think of) but removing and reinstalling. I really like the software and have created several recipes in it as well as pulled a lot of recipes off of hopville into it.

randyrob said:
Hello Patirck,

I'd really like to get this sorted for you, Are you able to contact me

[email protected]

Cheers Rob.

Thanks for getting this sorted out. I have been using the new version and the calendar feature is cool! Any thought of adding some kind of reminder email feature? Perhaps something that can upload to a google calendar and do reminders.

Hi,
BeerSmith 2 is now available for the Macintosh as well as Windows platforms. I released the new version (a complete PC rewrite and first time Mac release) in June of 2011.

Brad

Working on the trial version BS2, but I think I will be purchasing it after I get some Xmas money. A few reasons why below.

- It's the most friendly and easiest to use overall.
- Video and forum support for how to use BS2
- It seems to be worked and improved on unlike most of the others.
- My local HBS uses it, so it will be ease to make recipes and take them in, or visa versa.

I tried downloading the trial of Beertools, but I couldnt do anything with it. There are no ingredients list, so I could not try to build a sample recipe to see what happened. They lost out right there. ProMash looked like a program that I would have use back when I 5 years old using Windows 3.0. All the menus where not in one easy to see location, you have to keep backing out to do something else.

iBrewMaster would make a nice add to this list.
I've been playing with brewing software for a few months now. I have a whole page of brewing apps on my iphone & some more software on my computer. & i've decided on iBrewMaster as my go to app. BeerSmith is also nice but as of now isn't mobile. I really wanted to be able to have my software on my phone. Just wanted to throw my 2cents out there incase anyone else is looking for a brewing app/software.

2nd. I love BeerSmith and it's my primary software, but use iBrewMaster frequently just bc I can take it out to the back yard. Would definitely prefer BS for IOS...

Does anybody know of a program that would keep track of stats on each individual recipe every time you brewed a batch.

Like one to monitor OG, FG, %ABV, etc so that you could monitor how changing certain processes in your brewing methods can alter the final product.

I currently use Beer Tools Pro but I dont think it can do that.

Does anybody know of a program that would keep track of stats on each individual recipe every time you brewed a batch.

Like one to monitor OG, FG, %ABV, etc so that you could monitor how changing certain processes in your brewing methods can alter the final product.

iBrewmaster on the iPad does.

Brewer's Friend can do this.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/

I created a project called "BrewScript" which is a web based recipe formulator. It is available at http://www.brewscript.com. It's 100% free, open source and mobile compatible. It's not as comprehensive as BeerSmith and other commercial tools, but it's easy and approachable. I hope you guys enjoy it.

I just spent the last couple months learning to program Android apps after years of professional web development, and of course my initial project was a brewing app. It provides a batch sparge calculator, a boil timer with configurable alarms, a notes/summary page that can be emailed, and handles both imperial and metric units. I was trying to cover the functionality that I had previously used several tools for on my laptop. My contribution to Android brewing apps (install for free!) is called BrewDay and is available via Google Play. Feel free to check it out and feedback is very welcome.

Brewers-Assistant is a free (no trials, or recipe amount limits) web-app for creating and managing homebrew recipes. You can try the recipe designer feature in the preview mode at

https://www.brewers-assistant.com/RecipeDesign.

Since it's a web-app there's nothing to install or maintain. Note that since the site features rich and interactive user interface it requires a relatively modern computer (probably anything made withing the last 4-5 years should do though) and modern browsers (Chrome, FF, IE8+, 9 preferred) .We're currently working on a feature that will allow adding multiple ingredients at once, instead of one-by-one. For the full functionality (saving, brewing, hop schedule timers, scheduling, brewday notifications, etc), you'll need to create an account.

splash.png

I have downloaded an android app called Home Brew Calculators, by Ghost Chili Software. Has anybody used this? It seems pretty comprehensive to me, but I'm a noob and could be wrong. I ran it on my latest batch of cider and got slightly different results from my manual abv calculation, but I am uncertain if that was due to my ignorance or the fact that it was cider, not beer, or if it was the software. I appreciate the input here on different free software (the open source ones) that I will check into. Any tips on freeware android apps worth trying?

Just started using BrewR for my last brew. It's an Android app that I'm using on my tablet. It has a hop schedule timer as well.

Why isn't Brewer's Friend on the list? It has got to be one of the more capable and actively supported options out there.

I PM'd Orfy about getting added several months ago, but I can see why he might have ignored my shameless plug. The list was started back in 2007 and is out of date by now. It needs to be spruced up or a new thread started IMHO.

Thank you for the mention!

I PM'd Orfy about getting added several months ago, but I can see why he might have ignored my shameless plug. The list was started back in 2007 and is out of date by now. It needs to be spruced up or a new thread started IMHO.

Thank you for the mention!

Feel free to PM any additions, I can add them to Orfy's list. I'll add Brewer's Friend to the list now.

Brewers-Assistant is a free (no trials, or recipe amount limits) web-app for creating and managing homebrew recipes. You can try the recipe designer feature in the preview mode at

https://www.brewers-assistant.com/RecipeDesign.

Since it's a web-app there's nothing to install or maintain. Note that since the site features rich and interactive user interface it requires a relatively modern computer (probably anything made withing the last 4-5 years should do though) and modern browsers (Chrome, FF, IE8+, 9 preferred) .We're currently working on a feature that will allow adding multiple ingredients at once, instead of one-by-one. For the full functionality (saving, brewing, hop schedule timers, scheduling, brewday notifications, etc), you'll need to create an account.

splash.png

I also added Brewers Assistant to the list on the opening post of this thread.

Promash should be removed from the list in my opinion. I tried to buy it 6 months ago, but never received the download instructions. I tried calling them and emailing them and received no response. Their forum also seems to indicate it is no longer around I believe the creator or his wife had cancer and passed away and the software is no longer being distributed.

I forgot to call the bank to try and get my money back. I am not bitter about it, just informing others, so they don't make the same mistake. If I am wrong please correct me.

Thanks.

Hi as a newbie who is Mac / iPhone only. What app might work best for me?

I'm a techie guy. So no worries about complexities. Just looking for the best app to use overall. Good for a beginner, but able to continue to support me as I gain experience within the hobby.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi as a newbie who is Mac / iPhone only. What app might work best for me?

I'm a techie guy. So no worries about complexities. Just looking for the best app to use overall. Good for a beginner, but able to continue to support me as I gain experience within the hobby.

Cheers,

Matt

The most widely used software is Beersmith, which is available for Mac.

Back