Propane + RIMS build (long term)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantH

Reaction score
I am starting to design/purchase parts for a RIMS build using propane for the HLT and BK with a 5500 element in the HEX. I know how the systems work, but this is a lesson in planning so far. I thought I knew how to plumb the system but I have all but tied my brain in a knot trying to figure it out.

Anyways, I am planning it in sketchup. I linked my diagram so far down below in hopes that anyone could help me with the plumbing. I may have some help coming from the brewhardware guys but want any and all help I can get.

As of now I have kegs figured out and my pumps are in hand (Chuggers). Everything else is to come shortly. I hope.

RIMS 2 by HopticalIllusionist, on Flickr

right off the bat, I notice you will need to rotate that pump head at least 90 degs. To avoid air pockets, the outlet either needs to face to the right or straight up.

I thought the center inlet pumps got rid of that issue, but it makes sense looking at it. I've looked at every RIMS system I can find and while I understand the plumbing, the valves are what keep me guessing. I need to just sit down and draw a hand drawn diagram rather than fooling with 3d. Maybe I can get that done today. Updates to come!

I talked with one of the guys from brewershardware about plumbing and routing of things and we have come up with a better way to do things. I am going to use 3-way SS valves, the two pumps, and a vertical hex. Even though the MT drains into a horizontal tube, it should be a non-issue as the water level will be way high and it should gravity feed to the pump.

rims by HopticalIllusionist, on Flickr

Edit: This is obviously not complete and still needs the BK plumbing and such.

I was told when I bought my plate chiller a few years back that the outlets need to face up for maximum efficiency. Can you point me to a link for three way stainless steel valves? Sounds interesting. I am thinking about putting in a RIMS in the near future, but was planning on using existing parts...might change my mind though.

I was told when I bought my plate chiller a few years back that the outlets need to face up for maximum efficiency. Can you point me to a link for three way stainless steel valves? Sounds interesting. I am thinking about putting in a RIMS in the near future, but was planning on using existing parts...might change my mind though.

Amazon has quite a few options. Not sure the exact ones I am going with, but they are ~40 a piece. You may also be correct about the chiller, I will research that. I still don't know the exact one I want but I hope to get a 40 plate. It will be easy enough to build a bracket/mount for it to mount correctly.

I'm trying to figure out my RIMS system, so if anyone would be ever so kind to help me figure out what I need that would be awesome. I'm looking for 1.5 Tri -> 1/2" barb in some fashion I believe. I am using braided silicone hoses, so I need to run the 1/2" hosing to the inlet and outlet of my rims tube (1.5 tube). Do I need to go 1.5 Tri -> 1/2 NPT -> 1/2 barb?

I think I can manage the plumbing fittings outside of this. I just don't know the availability for that style fitting.

My main issue is the electrical and what to run. I know I need a SSR compatible PID from Auber, but which temp sensor and such should I use? I've read a little about the RTD deal, but know nothing of it. The RIMS for Dummies thread is out of hand now, it's far too long to read through and decipher the conversations.

I'm trying to figure out my RIMS system, so if anyone would be ever so kind to help me figure out what I need that would be awesome. I'm looking for 1.5 Tri -> 1/2" barb in some fashion I believe. I am using braided silicone hoses, so I need to run the 1/2" hosing to the inlet and outlet of my rims tube (1.5 tube). Do I need to go 1.5 Tri -> 1/2 NPT -> 1/2 barb?
http://www.brewershardware.com/1.5-Tri-Clover-X-1-2-Hose-Barb.html

You can also do what you described (with 1/2 NPT) if you want greater flexibility. But hose barb-triclamp fittings are available.

Looking at fittings is about to drive my account bankrupt haha.

So far I've got:

(3) 3-way SS valves
(3) SS Bulkheads (I think Bargain Fitting, may go Brewers Hardware)
(2) center dip tube setups
(1) whirlpool dip tube setup
(2) sight glass setups
(1) 1.5" RIMS tube
(1) 1.5" sight glass
(2) 1.5" triclover clamps
(1) 1.5" triclover to 1/2" hose barb straight
(1) 1.5" triclover to 1/2" hose barb 90°

I think that is it for now.

Alright, all of that got ordered, and I swear I'm most excited about the damn sight glass haha. I am getting my 2nd keg from a member here on the 10th and then I will be in search of a 3rd (2nd 1/2bbl sanke). I'm also on the hunt for a couple 1/6 bbl sankes. I don't care to mess with cornys if I don't ever have to.

The build is going to be slow, but maybe I can get something put together to use the pumps and such anyways. I'm moving back home to south MS and just have to get myself planted all over again and find me a house in my price range. I'm thinking it should only take a couple/few months but I really don't know. I'm just glad to be going back home! I may/may not be able to talk my brother into letting me do all this at his place, at least to mock it all up.

Parts photos to come!

i haven't been on here much the last few days to see this, but it looks like you're well on your way to a nice system. and let me know if you can't find that 3rd keg. i can probably pick up a half-barrel keg in jackson.

I am actually still needing to source a 3rd keg. I'll get with you as things get closer to me moving and such. I may be able to find one in Hattiesburg. I could also use 1 more sixtel.

Looking forward to see the final product, I am looking into doing a propane and rims Brutus 2.0

-G

On these 3-way valves, does anyone know if you can loosen the handle and re-tighten in another position to allow for full closure and the position you need per kettle? I'm guessing you probably can, but did not try when I built this one.

Also, just behind the sight glass there will be another hole drilled with a bulkhead which will allow me to fill the kettle via water hose. I plan on putting a female adapter on the bulkhead so I can screw the hose directly to the kettle and leave it that way until all the front end water steps are complete.

Something like this.
3_4_FGH_brass.png

Latest posts

Back