Boch Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40oz2freedom

Reaction score
I have brewed three kit bochs and I just drank a store baught porter (Saugatuck Brewing Co,) and Sam Adams doble boch. All of them have a distinct flavor to them. Does anyone know where it comes from?

Can you describe the flavor?

Between the bocks, I would guess its the Munich malt. But I wouldn't expect that in a porter.

I guess, if the bocks are all dark, it could be chocolate malt.

Then my guess is you are tasting one of two things:

1. Dactyl - butter or butterscotch flavors. It's the artificial butter flavor in microwave popcorn.

Dactyl is okay in small amounts some ales but generally not in lagers. It can be caused by long lag times, under pitching, or insufficient aeration. It's a sign the yeast are too stressed in the early phases of fermentation.

2. Caramel - this can comes from the caramelized crystal malts used in these beers.

Then my guess is you are tasting one of two things:

1. Dactyl - butter or butterscotch flavors. It's the artificial butter flavor in microwave popcorn.

Dactyl is okay in small amounts some ales but generally not in lagers. It can be caused by long lag times, under pitching, or insufficient aeration. It's a sign the yeast are too stressed in the early phases of fermentation.

2. Caramel - this can comes from the caramelized crystal malts used in these beers.

I hope there are no [ptero]dactyls in your beer. That sounds dangerous. I think you mean diacetyl (die-ASS-uh-till), which has a buttery flavor and a slippery mouthfeel (it's used for artificial butter flavor).

Latest posts

Back