noob extract brewer sweet chocolate orange stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatBeerSleep

Reaction score
just finished brewing this sweet chocolate orange stout(well this is what i'm calling it)
i'm looking for a very chocolatly beer.
here's the recipe:
6 lbs LME golden light extract
3/4 lbs chocolate malt
1/2 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb flaked oats
1/4 black patent
1 lb lactose @ 10 min
1 oz pacifica @ 60 min
1/2 oz pacifica @ 15 min
1 tap irish moss @ 10 min
8 oz bakes chocolate @ 30 min
zest of 2 oranges @ 5 min
safbrew s-33 yeast

OG= 1.058

(i used pacifica and s-33 because i had it laying around)

i plan on making my own chocolate syrup to put in the secondary for more chocolate flavor.

was planning on adding 1/2 oz of pacifica @ 30 min but wanted to ease up on the hops because i was adding chocolate and that would give some bittering.

does this seem like a good idea? or is this recipe ruined from the beginning ?
i'm pretty new to this but need some constructive criticism from the vets. any tips?
PS- hopefully santas good to me this year so i can start AG

Don't bother with a 30 minute addition,you'd get more bittering than flavor,or 50% of both at least. The 15 minute addition is fine for some flavor. This makes me think of those chocolate oranges they sell during the holidays that look & split apart like the actual fruit. Save for the color. Damn,those are good! If this beer tastes reminicent of those,I'd try brewing it myself!:mug:

Don't bother with a 30 minute addition,you'd get more bittering than flavor,or 50% of both at least. The 15 minute addition is fine for some flavor. This makes me think of those chocolate oranges they sell during the holidays that look & split apart like the actual fruit. Save for the color. Damn,those are good! If this beer tastes reminicent of those,I'd try brewing it myself!:mug:

thanks for the reply.
The chocolate oranges around the holidays is exactly what i'm aiming for!. I actually began this thread after the beer was in the primary. You're right, I should have did the chocolate addition @ 15 min. Hopefully I don't get too much bitterness.
When fermentation is complete, I will take a sample and taste it. Maybe adding cocoa nibs to the secondary. idk, just gonna have to wait and see

So far i put 6 oz of cocoa nibs soaked in 1/2 cup of creme of cocoa and 1/2 cup of triple sec for 3 days and around a cup of cocoa powder mixed with 1/2 cup of triple sec in secondary then racked over it. It's been in the secondary for around 3-4 weeks. I'm planning on bottling pretty soon with boiling priming sugar in Grand Marnier.
I'll update this when i taste it.

Back