Briess caramel 10L question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Briess defines both C10 and C20 as being "Candylike sweetness with mild caramel." So depending on what your recipe looks like, you might get away with that and/or a bit of carapils or munich10, if the original C10 only made up a small percentage of the grist.

My 1st PM yesterday used 4lb of 2 row,.5lb of carapils,& .5lb of crystal 10L. It smelled of caramely buiscotti to me. Good smell that reminded me of my extract pal ales. Just cleaner/fresher.

Thanks for the info guys. Trying to replicate a fast brew i like. The 10L i cant find at my LHBS. Also most online shops dont carry/have it.

Crystal 10L :rockin: that will do just fine. Thanks agian guys!

Ah, this was a crystal versus caramel question, lulz, that's why I just call it "cXX." My LHBS only stocks "C" in multiples of 20, so I'm used to subbing the nearest. Randy Mosher does a good job of demystifying which malts are nearly identical but named differently in his book "Radical Brewing." Check it out if you get a chance, it helps unravel other's recipes when they come from an area that uses different malts than you have available. Cheers!

Be aware that Briess sells 2 grades of crystal malts...ones made of 2 row and ones made of 6 row. The 6 row crystal malts are cheaper and less tasty.

Back