Bottles aren't carbing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
I brewed an amber a while back and pitched US-05. It finished out at 1.020 for some reason that I haven't figured out yet, given that I mashed at 154*.

Now, it's been in the bottles for about a month now with no noticeable carbonation other than what was left from fermentation.

This has never happened to me before, so I'm wondering what kind of action to take, if any.

Should I carefully empty the bottles into the bottling bucket and pitch yeast? Any Ideas?

Also- For what it's worth, I had reused the yeast from this batch into an IPA and it fermented like gangbusters, so it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with the yeast as far as I can tell.

I had a belguim quad style ale that never carbed up for me one time. I popped all the tops and pitched a small amount of champagne yeast into the bottles and recaped them. It took a week and they were carbed perfectly. I know its a lot of work but it could save your batch.

Just wait it out. If you put sugar in there they will carb. Find a warmer spot in your house to set them for a few weeks. The yeast will act quicker at height temps. I have had a batch take three months to carb and it became a delicious beer. I think the slower carbing is better. If you are that it carbs in a week or two then you are probably headed for over carbonation in the long run if you store them warm.
RDWHAHB

What was the OG? What temperature do you have the bottles sitting at? Did you check to be sure the caps are firmly seated? How much priming sugar did you use? 70F for 3 weeks is the minimum amount of time recommended and many times a beer will take longer so give it more time.

Do Not pour out the bottles to remix, you will oxidize the beer and that would be bad, very, very bad:(

Had the same thing happen to me once, interestingly enough with an Amber. It took several months....don't remember exactly but it eventually carbed. The only thing that I could ever think was that I let the bottled brew get too cool too soon and I put most of the yeast to sleep. I ended up shaking the bottles up after a month or so and then just letting them sit again.

What was the OG? What temperature do you have the bottles sitting at? Did you check to be sure the caps are firmly seated? How much priming sugar did you use? 70F for 3 weeks is the minimum amount of time recommended and many times a beer will take longer so give it more time.

Do Not pour out the bottles to remix, you will oxidize the beer and that would be bad, very, very bad:(

The OG was 1.052. The caps are firmly on - there's hiss when I cracked the ones I've sampled. I weighed out the priming sugar based on a calculation that would give me about 2.7 volumes of CO2. They're currently sitting at room temp, which fluctuates between about 70 and 74, depending on the weather each day.

My guess is that they'll carb up eventually. Good news is that based on the taste of this batch, I think I've nailed my amber recipe to exactly what I want. :mug:

Grantman1 said:
The OG was 1.052. The caps are firmly on - there's hiss when I cracked the ones I've sampled. I weighed out the priming sugar based on a calculation that would give me about 2.7 volumes of CO2. They're currently sitting at room temp, which fluctuates between about 70 and 74, depending on the weather each day.

My guess is that they'll carb up eventually. Good news is that based on the taste of this batch, I think I've nailed my amber recipe to exactly what I want. :mug:

If there is a hiss than they are carbonating and just need more time:)

Back