Christmas Beer help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkdeacon

Reaction score
First recipe I kind of made up myself:

3.3 lbs Amber malt
1 lb 40 L crystal malt
1/2 oz cascade hops
1 gal apple juice
1 oz cinnanmon
15 Cloves
1 lb honey
Lager Yeast

Bring water four gallons water to boil with crystal malt, pull the grains and add honey, amber malt, hops, apple juice and spices.

Any ideas/forecasts? Tips/tricks. etc?

Um, I know for a fact that the spices (cinnamon and cloves) are way to strong.

Jamil Z recommended about 1/4tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp cloves. Since the beer will be in contact with the spices for so long, the taste will really get extracted to the max.

I would have a bad feeling about putting apple juice in beer.

Watch the cloves...they do weird things in beer (since this can be a yeast flavor too)

Honey is highly attenuative. If you want the flavor add honey malt.

Lager? I would go ale all the way on this.

I agree with the above spice comment. Go very easy on the spice at the boil and then add some more in the bottling bucket/keg. If you do a search this is discussed in detail a lot.

How would you suggest going about using apple then?

I have had someones apple beer (or flavored) and it was the best thing, in fact it is why I started in this and then one of the local microbreweries makes one with apple essence in it and it is one of their most popular beers with "uncultured" drinkers. I enjoy it but not their best.

Back