Starter DME suggestion for AHS Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centexbear

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is an Amber DME ok to use for an Irish Red? I made my starter with Amber but can make another starter using light or something else if necessary. I want to do this right and don't want to just wing it and see how it does.

I've read about matching the starter to the style you're brewing and thought Amber was the way to go but now I'm second guessing myself and thought I'd ask the experts here!

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

I use extra light DME for all my starters. Then I just cold crash and decant the spent wort. That way there are no worries about matching color.

I didn't think color was the reason you matched starter DME? I will cold crash and decant too.

Regardless, I've already made an Amber starter. The question is: is it ok to roll with that or should I make using light, etc?

Centexbear said:
I didn't think color was the reason you matched starter DME? I will cold crash and decant too.

Regardless, I've already made an Amber starter. The question is: is it ok to roll with that or should I make using light, etc?

If you cold crash and decant then the color of the DME is not relevant but if you typically do not decant then try to always use and extra light for your starters.

Thanks for the replies! My original question has led to more questions now.

I've read several places that you should try to match the DME type to the style of the beer. IE: if you brew an Amber, use Amber DME. I assumed this was for flavor, not color reasons but you know what assuming does.

So what is the purpose of trying to match the starter DME to the beer style and why don't y'all do it?

I've read several places that you should try to match the DME type to the style of the beer. IE: if you brew an Amber, use Amber DME. I assumed this was for flavor, not color reasons but you know what assuming does.

So what is the purpose of trying to match the starter DME to the beer style and why don't y'all do it?

I've never heard that. It makes sense if you aren't decanting the starter, I guess. I pretty much always cold crash and decant, so very little of the starter 'beer' goes into the batch.

If you normally decant your starter the only thing I would try to match from starter to wort would be specific gravity...you want your yeasties to be happy in their new home.

To the question of use it or start a new one is - use the amber dme starter. Even if you don't decant there is not enough there to make a serious change in your beer.

I to use light DME. You can also use a 2 row base grain to make a starter wort.

Thanks guys! I'll be using light DME for starters going forward. I may do a test and brew this again using light DME and see if there is a difference with this brew using Amber DME.

meh, it doesnt matter what type really. after you decant there is so little that goes into the actual batch i find it hard to believe it would make a difference. I always use what i have left over, right now its wheat.

Thanks a bunch mewithstewpid. Makes me feel better and I don't have to delay my planned weekend brewing.

Back