HELP Sour Beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper31

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post and I am hoping for some help. I made a Honey Hefe about 3 weeks ago. It fermented strong for about a 2 weeks I transferred to my 2nd fermenter (to make room for my new brew) and took a FG I tasted the beer and it is sour. There where sulfur like smells when fermenting but thought this was normal with Hefe yeast. Any ideas I am not sure if I should bottle it or throw it out. Here is the recipe I followed.
3.3 LBS Coopers Wheat Malt
3 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz Northern Brewer Hops 7.8%
American Hefe White Labs Yeast WLP320
SG-1.040
FG- 1.004

Any help would be great. This was the last extract brew I did and just finished my 1st full mash brew (brown Ale).

In the Works: Oktoberfest, Oatmeal

Hopper31 said:
Hi this is my first post and I am hoping for some help. I made a Honey Hefe about 3 weeks ago. It fermented strong for about a 2 weeks I transferred to my 2nd fermenter (to make room for my new brew) and took a FG I tasted the beer and it is sour. There where sulfur like smells when fermenting but thought this was normal with Hefe yeast. Any ideas I am not sure if I should bottle it or throw it out. Here is the recipe I followed.
3.3 LBS Coopers Wheat Malt
3 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz Northern Brewer Hops 7.8%
American Hefe White Labs Yeast WLP320
SG-1.040
FG- 1.004

Any help would be great. This was the last extract brew I did and just finished my 1st full mash brew (brown Ale).

In the Works: Oktoberfest, Oatmeal

Give it another 3-5 weeks. It'll change. Wheat can have a very acidic taste and aroma at first but it'll change.

No need for a wheat in the secondary. It's supposed to be cloudy! Go ahead and bottle or keg. Prime heavy, since hefe's are supposed to be bubbly. Give it 2-3 weeks and see if it hasn't changed. If not, wait at least 4 months before tossing it. Age it warm until you're ready to drink it.

I would let it sit for a while before bottling to off gas the sulphur. Wheat beers can be funky but rotten eggs is a bit over the top. Sour may or may not be a problem. It could be infected if it is a really sour taste, but lactic brews are kind of the thing right now and so you may just have a trendy beer on your hands.

usually you see the infection. mold on top of the liquid, or wierd floating stuff that looks sorta like egg drop soup.

visually if it looks ok, that'll rule out half the types of infection. the remaining types are usually noticable by the way it tastes.

so you know there are no known pathogens that can survive in beer, so if it is infected you're not gonna get food poisoning from sampling it.

HI is there a way to increase the gravity of a batch of beer that already calls for a certain amount of yeast? Thanks

There was a thick layer on top but i am not sure about mold. This is my 1st hefe so I don’t know whats normal. After I transferred it to the 2nd fermenter there has been nothing on top.

Back