Starting keg setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I'm picking up two kegs today off CL. Because I don't have a permanent bar setup, just a temperature controlled freezer, I don't see the need to have a two way splitter from my regulator. Can i just have one gas in line/valve and pop that off from one keg to the other?

I would have a separate liquid out line on each keg with a faucet.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/gas-connector-kit-pl-pin-lock-version.html one of those

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/faucet-tubing-kit-pl-pin-lock-version.html two of those.

would that be ok? I mean if I found a regulator with a splitter on ebay or something, that'd be sweet. Otherwise, I can add on a splitter manifold later right?

Because I'm going to be moving things, I probably want the MFL fittings rather than barb right? for quicker disconnects

Unless you are only going to tap one keg at a time...I think it will be a PITA swapping back and forth from keg to keg.

At a minimum and for very short money...you can toss a "tee" in your gas out line and split it to both of them.

The only issues you have is that they both now are pushing beer at the same psi...no a big deal really...and there is a potential for backflow between kegs...but again, should not really be an issue unless something goes wacky.

I posted this before I knew how long it took to carb beer. I was under the impression that you hook up the gas line, charge up, and dispense right there.

Now i see it takes a couple weeks with one method and a few days with the other.

so are you saying backflow might occur with the set and forget method with a splitter?

Also, say I carb it and after 2 weeks I'm satisfied. Do i disconnect it and carb up the other keg or does the gas line need to be connected to the first keg until the beer is gone (i hope that didnt sound dumb)

or can I bulk prime in the keg for two weeks then hook it up to a line for pouring?

i clearly know little about kegging

I apologize if I am reading your post wrong, but it sounds to me like you might be missing one fact. You must have CO2 connected to the keg to dispense the beer. If you pressurize the keg to 12psi, disconnect or turn off the gas, and dispense, you won't get much beer out before there is no more pressure to push beer down the line. I can't see why you would need two taps, but only one gas line. You would only be able to use one tap at a time in that setup.

With a commercial keg, you need CO2 even though the beer comes already carbonated. Same will be true of your homebrew. You may just additionally be using your CO2 to carbonate your beer.

Most kegerators with two taps use a "tee". However, then you must push the same pressure to both kegs. I have this setup. If I am carbing at 30psi, I shut off the other since I probably have a keg I am dispensing beer and don't want it at 30psi. With dual regulators, you can run different pressure to each keg.

Either way, you always need CO2 pressure to dispense.

I set my regulator at 12 to 14 psi...connect my keg or kegs and chill in the kegerator...let sit for two weeks, leaving the psi on...pour a pint...perfect...do NOT disconnect the gas...you need the 12 psi to maintain carb and push the beer.

As long as both kegs are at the same psi, flat or at psi, you should not have much of an issue with backflow using a "tee".

If one keg is at 30 psi and the other is at 0, you will likely have an issue when you connect both.

Hope this helps.

Since no one else answered your question about bulk priming, yes. You can prime and let it carb, but your first few pours will have yeast in them. You MUST have C02 hooked up to dispense. The gas replaces the liquid, which is what allows the beer to be dispensed. You can use a T which will cost about $3, or you can get a manifold, which will cost about $40 (I paid $38 gor my three way). I personally would say to go gor the manifold, and get an extra gas spot. Being able to shut off the gas is extremely nice because you eliminate the possibility of leaking on one you aren't using, and you can shut off the gas to your other legs if you want to "blast" for a day or two for faster carb.

I know you need CO2 to push beer out. I was thinking of only connecting the one I'd dispense that day. But now I know that the keg needs to be stored with pressure at all times. I'll either get a splitter from the gauge (which I've yet to buy) or a manifold. Do they make manifolds with regulators on each one? That way I could have 2 kegs carbing up at 20 psi lets say and 2 others ready to pour at 12 psi?

Edit:

How about a dual body regulator with a splitter on each. That way 2 could be at 20 and 2 at 12. That seems cheaper than buying one regulator to go into a secondary regulator (those are pricey)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160-PSI-INL...ultDomain_0&hash=item20c24989ab#ht_941wt_1037

this is an in line regulator, but its way cheaper than the others. is there a difference?

Im not sure about that regulator, but you have the concept down. I dont think they make manifolds with regulators on them, that would really just be a dual body regulator.

Hmmm just cheaper to use a 4 way distributor with a single gauge and slow carb everything at 12. I guess my apfelwwin will be overcarbed then and porters. Double gauges are pricey

ok i crunched some numbers and got this:

The Morebeer 4 way manifold here is 47.50.

constructing a basic manifold
Capture.jpg
would be this and it's about 33 bucks. However, there are no check valves there. Four check valves from pressureparts are 6.60 each or about 25 bucks before shipping.

therefore, it seems a 47 dollar premade one aint so bad. I'll just have to not force carb and carb the 2 week method

Latest posts

Back