Grain still good??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all.....I have 2 bags of grain I bought last year which I have not been able to use due to family obligations(new baby and house). They've been sitting in the garage which is dry, although it did get pretty warm in there in the summer. My question is....would the grain still be good?
Thanks

I had a bin of rye that I wanted to sell as seed rye, about 2000 bu in a steel bin. After about 5 years it had lost germination enough that I could no longer hope to sell it as seed as only about 70% would germinate as opposed to the more than 90% when it went into the bin. One year shouldn't be much of a problem if it stayed dry.

The key is keeping it dry. A year should be no problem, especially if you never opened the bag. Probably the most important thing to do would be to check it for mold. Otherwise, brew on! :mug:

Taste it... if it still tastes good to you, brew with it. If not, get rid of it.

Malted grains are generally good if stored in a cool dry place for a year or so. Sounds like you have the "dry" covered but the "cool" maybe a challenge. I agree with IffyG, taste it. Malted grains can oxidize faster in warmer temperatures and they will take on a "stale" or papery character. Is this base malt or specialty malts?? Darker malts can go a longer time and show lesser effects of oxidation.

Dr Malt :mug:

Back