My Portable 2-Keg Bar/Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
PKeg1.jpg

Finished up my portable homebrew kegerator a few weeks back and after taking it on its maiden voyage I figured I would share it with you kind folk.

I've done the 1-keg in a cooler with CO2 injector and cobra tap thing and while that is handy, it's not the classiest looking way to bring beer to a party, nor does one homebrew keg last very long if >several drinkers are involved. The idea here was to build something that would be appropriate at any style party, whether it be a bunch of guys at a lake house or in the living room of a nice beach rental.

PKeg2.jpg

Using a wooden, frame-and-panel construction left the whole thing amazingly light yet sturdy but also created the obvious hurdle of how to make it water tight and proof. Several members here suggested fiberglassing the inside. I gave that a shot, but suffice it to say glassing is an acquired art and I was lucky to emerge without the project ruined and my poor brain in a fume-induced coma. In the end I decided to create a kind of internal box of aluminum flashing on top of 1" foam board insulation, which I sealed with aluminum tape and lots and lots of silicone sealant. The outside and top have a few coats of lacquer on them and will get a few more before all is said and done.

PKeg8.jpg

PKeg7.jpg

PKeg3.jpg

Another question I had when I was planning the build was whether to mount the taps on the front and force people to crouch or add a tower. I'm happy I went with the tower, as it reduces mess (no splashing on the floor) and makes it easiest to get a beer. The trick was to make the tower removable for transport. I settled on the old toilet fixture and bolts trick, using a floating wooden cover to hide the fixture.

PKeg4.jpg

PKeg5.jpg

Installing and uninstalling the tower is a piece of cake and so far I haven't had any problems with foamy pours because the ice keeps the kegs so cold. On long trips I have to replenish the ice every other day or so, and drain the water about once a day, so I included a drain with a garden hose fitting and a ball valve.

PKeg6.jpg

In the end, it work out even better than I could have hoped. Can't wait to bring it and some good brews to the OBX in a couple weeks.

Thanks. It had a nice bird's eye veneer on the tower, but when I left it out to dry the plastic heated up and split the veneer, so black will have to do.

Forgot to mention it's on casters as well, which is key.

This is a sweet setup! Do you know how much you spent on the materials? I'm looking to build a portable kegerator but want it to look a little classier than some of the garbage can versions.

Also, what are the measurements?

Thanks. Cost of materials was something in the neighborhood of $150, minus the faucets which I traded some grain for. I'll have to get back to you re: measurements... still recovering from the power outage from Irene.

sensibull said:
Thanks. Cost of materials was something in the neighborhood of $150, minus the faucets which I traded some grain for. I'll have to get back to you re: measurements... still recovering from the power outage from Irene.

Along the same lines as the "final total" how much does it weigh (without kegs/CO2)? Ive had difficulty finding casters that are light AND strong.

Without actually weighing it, I can't give you an exact number, but it's very light, as in my wife could easily pick it up by herself. The casters are 2" locking swivelers from Home Depot -- not particularly strong, but strong enough. Truth be told, I haven't rolled it very far fully loaded with kegs and ice, and I'm not sure the handles would withstand carrying it far fully loaded either. I sometimes load the kegs into it while traveling, but so far I've always carried in the kegs and the "kegerator" (for lack of a better word) separately, put it where it will stay for a while, and then loaded the kegs, ice, and CO2. The casters help to move it slightly as I open to reload ice, or line up a pan or something to drain it, but they definitely don't go off-roading or carry the keg across large uneven surfaces.

Dude this thing is awesome I love the lining on the inside very smart. I just about to complete mine as well a little different but I was wondering where your got your drip mats tho's are nice would like to put one on mine

Latest posts

Back