Pumpkin Ale Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan102

Reaction score
Good evening,
I'm getting ready to brew a pumpkin ale (link below)
Many of the reviews are very helpful, but I've still got a couple questions.
I've got 3 cans of Libby's pumpkin (3lbs) I'd like to add. Do I need to bake this pumpkin? If so, how long and at what temperature? After that step, do I add the pumpkin to the grain bag? And lastly, at what point would I add the spices? Cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar? Or would you bypass these?

Thanks for all your help!
Nathan

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10886

You don't need to bake the Libby's pumpkin mix, just toss it into the boil. 60 minutes is a good start or even at 30 if you want to save some of the aromatics. The spices can be added at anywhere from 15-0 minutes of the boil. I'd say later the better. Aromatics over flavor is my thought.

I've only had experience brewing this at a microbrewery level.. Cinnamon goes a long long way. Are you using cinnamon sticks? powder?
We always add brown sugar and nutmeg at 15 minutes.

I make the ahs kit every year. I double the spices and i bake my canned pumpkin for an hour and then add it to the boil

What type of spices do you add? What are the quantities? Cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar? At what point do you add these?

Sorry for all the questions....this is only 6th batch....

I used the spice pack that came with the kit, I doubled the cinammon and nutmeg and added a cup of brown sugar. I just throw my pumpkin the boil, the first time I did this I used a bag but it was pointless, it just went through the holes. I also bake it for 350 for an hour on a couple of cookies sheets spread it evenly best as possible

Back