Little gift suggestions for a chef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Simple gifts for chefs, both professional, and home:

Nothing new or earthshaking, just stuff that works really well.

Clockwise from the top left, Microplane, Most people probably have one already, but they wear out. Super sharp, great for grating anything from cheese, jalapeno, or nutmeg.

Cherry pitter. Also great for olives. I love olives, and when I make olive bread, or tapenade, or a relish, this is great.

Little bitty melon baler thingy. Makes cool garnishes. Fun

Julienne peeler. I suggest the stainless one. It cuts long thin slices of vegetables matchstick style.

Heavy duty shears, with a notch where toward the base. The best to get come apart into two pieces for easy washing.

Can opener. Everyone has an electric can opener. In my opinion they kinda suck. This may be the coolest kitchen gadget invented in the past 10 years. It cuts the side of the seal on the can, so there is no sharp edge. I open big no. ten cans with this all the time, and just run it through the dish machine.

Fresh pepper mill. This is so cool, it is stainless, and very well made. It is not adjustable, it just puts out medium to small grind, It is so easy, one handed, and small. I have two, one with fennel seeds in it.

Last, Smoked paprika. Very subtle, smoky nice light paprika flavor. For soups, rubs, smoky blacken spice. I love it.

Merry Christmas.:mug:

chef gifts.jpg

Nice, It's about time someone wrote a book like that. There are so many people who have good knives that are dull as .. That may go on my list.

A great book I have used a bit this year is Charcuterie. Very accurate, and tasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Norton tri-stone. I do not need the 3000 grit waterstone, I consider my knives tools, and they get used hard.

The Ginsu, reminds me of something I saw once. In Sarasota Florida, in the migrant farmer housing. I saw a little Hispanic kid, about 5 or 6 years old chasing a chicken with a ginsu.

Laughed my a$$ off. You can spot that crazy ginsu shape a mile away. Hilarious.

Back