HBT at NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What am I? Chipped Beef and Old Milwaukee? :(

I said "short" description, I think. That's not you either!

Edwort is funny and intelligent- and very easy to be around.

(And every one of the ones I mentioned and the ones I didn't are much more than all that, of course. That's just what stuck me!)

I know that everybody always says things like, "Great people, blah blah". But in this case it is so true!

I really liked everyone that I met. And I met alot of people. On Pro Brewer's night, I tried to meet everybody in the room. I think I did pretty well at that, but didn't get to meet quite all of them. (There were about 300 people, I would guess). Every single person that I met was great. I met a few "lurking" hbt'ers who I didn't know from their ID but got to know them a bit in person and that was great.

One other thing strikes me- there were mostly men at the conference and quite a few beers. I never heard any arguments or saw any conflicts. Now, crowds and large quantities of alcohol don't sound like a good mix. But in this case, I saw the biggest RDWHAHB attitude in the world.

Some very short observations:
The SWMBOs were wonderful. Now, so were the guys. But I really think that homebrewers (myself included) marry UP. We have to have the most understanding and best looking spouses in the world.

Overall, HBTers are FUNNY! I laughed so hard all weekend that my jaw hurts!

Ohiobrewtus is even louder than I am.

OllllllO's wife is a saint.

ChrisK is very funny.

Pseudochef looks like he's 12 years old.

Richbrewer is genuinely a nice guy.

I still don't like sour beers, wheat beers, or fruit beers.

I would agree with all your "short" observations. :D

What a great bunch of people! I have not seen so many geeks in one room since a Microsoft TechEd party. :D

I'm working on my pictures. I hope to have them up later today after I travel up to visit family.

Ok, here's a few pics before I hit the road this morning.

This is how over 90% of the people viewed Yoopy at around 1 AM on Club night.

Yooper1.jpg

Darn auto focus.

Here's our Wonderful custom hand made club sign for Club night shown by BrewWench.

HBTSignBrewWench.jpg

Ohiobrewtus & BrewWench with Yoopy in the back and just a tinge of Clayof2day on the right.

NHC2008a.jpg

MrFebtober and ChrisK by our beautiful custom hand made HBT club sign.

NHC2008b.jpg

Club night was a hoot! The soft pretzels were a hit and ollllo's SWMBO (Brenda) was cranking them out in the end after folks found out there were HOT soft pretzels with mustard at the HBT table.

Wow, HBT totally needs a flag/banner/something....
It was great fun watching the video Friday night! Thanks again to olllllo for setting that up and for all at the NHC for manning the table and entertaining all that weren't able to attend.
:mug:

LOL. Edwort: BrewinMama = BrewWench in all your pics ;)

BrewinMama is OhioBrewtus' wife, and BrewWench (me) is MrFebtober's wife. I have the "Julie" name tag on.

Here are some of the photos that we were able to get:

My wife and I with Jim Koch
NHC001.jpg

Dinner Friday at a Japanese steakhouse
That's RichBrewer at the top, then Clayof2day and EdWort followed by my SWMBO, olllllo and Yoop.
NHC002.jpg

The massive pile of kegs (I heard it was over 600) waiting for people to pick them up for Club Night
NHC004.jpg

MrFebtober, RichBrewer and olllllo
NHC008.jpg

EdWort and his kickass German hat
NHC009.jpg

Charlie Papazian
NHC010.jpg

Here's PseudoChef on club night
NHC011.jpg

Me 'chugging' beer from a randal that these guys say they actually got from DFH.
NHC013.jpg

Bearcat Brewmeister, MrFebtober, me, EdWort and BrewWench
NHC034.jpg

My swmbo and PseudoChef
NHC040.jpg

Bearcat Brewmeister, MrFebtober, me and EdWort
NHC035.jpg

This is our super-duper high tech club signage
NHC036.jpg

The Busty Wenches of club night (one of those should look familiar)
NHC041.jpg

Lunch at the Hofbrauhaus on Saturday

L to R that's me, my swmbo (brewingmama), Yoop, RichBrewer, PseudoChef and EdWort. MrFebtober, BrewWench, Clayof2day and ChrisK also showed up shortly after.
NHC047.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmm, German sausage
NHC048.jpg

Brew system at the Hofbrauhaus
NHC049.jpg

Pouring beer in ChrisK's glassware.

2595446818_36081e5e8c.jpg

Some of the 1000 brewers in attendance. The most assembled in one place over 8000 years of brewing history according to Jim Koch.

2601702934_faa3ed38a5.jpg

Photoshopping opportunity?

2600875025_80d0b29fda.jpg

Some of the more elaborate booths.
2600814255_0dcacac101.jpg

Yet more photos:

So far, EVERYone I've met has been awesome. All the HBTers have especially been great. And, I've had some fantastic beer. Apparently we had over 600 kegs last night at club night, with 1000 people. That's right, 3/4 of a keg per person. Not to mention all the bottles that opened up. We had some crabapple wine, apfelwein, moonshine (don't ask!), and we opened up some beerswap beers. One from Brewtopia (thanks!) and Evan!'s Meph. stout to just name two.

For some reason, this is the only picture I have of it. Before you ask, yes it is/was very real and very illegal moonshine. I tried to get Justin to take a shot on the air, but he wouldn't do it.

dsc00238ho0.jpg

The guy with his back to both photos (Bloomington) is robnog.

Thank you. I knew he was a member but for the life of me I couldn't remember his name.

I ran into a nice guy, Billy D in that runs a local brewshop in Ohio.

He has some cool photos of the NHC here
http://billydshomebrew.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=topics&f=11
and some other brew resouces.

Check out some of the Jim Koch pix and vids.

I'm glad I checked that out. I actually talked to him for quite a while on Friday night. He was standing right next to me during the 'Busty Wench' contest and had a great IPA he shared with me.

I know that everybody always says things like, "Great people, blah blah". But in this case it is so true!

One other thing strikes me- there were mostly men at the conference and quite a few beers. I never heard any arguments or saw any conflicts. Now, crowds and large quantities of alcohol don't sound like a good mix. But in this case, I saw the biggest RDWHAHB attitude in the world.

I was really impressed by this as well. I don't know how many people were crammed into that one room for Club Night, but it was a lot. I never saw anyone getting out of hand or starting anything. Everyone was just having a good time (especially us).

Some very short observations:
The SWMBOs were wonderful. Now, so were the guys. But I really think that homebrewers (myself included) marry UP. We have to have the most understanding and best looking spouses in the world.

Overall, HBTers are FUNNY! I laughed so hard all weekend that my jaw hurts!

Ohiobrewtus is even louder than I am.

OllllllO's wife is a saint.

ChrisK is very funny.

Pseudochef looks like he's 12 years old.

Richbrewer is genuinely a nice guy.

I still don't like sour beers, wheat beers, or fruit beers.

Everyone that we met this weekend was great. We couldn't have asked for a better group of people to meet for the first time from HBT.

I may be louder than Yooper, but I certainly talk less. :D

There were some genuinely amazing beers available on Friday. I worked up the courage to try the moonshine (which seemed to be roughly 99.9% alcohol :eek:), and some Bacon Vodka, which was really pretty good.

Hands down, the best beer I had all weekend was Brewtopia's Grapes of Wrath. It was so good that I *almost* wish I would have kept it to myself, but a chance to share it with fellow HBT'ers was just too good to pass up. Justin from BN and Steve White from White Labs also got samples of this and were very impressed. I told Justin to squeeze in a plug for Naked City Brewing and this amazing beer if he wanted more. He got more, but I'm not sure if he got the plug in or not.

I was really impressed by this as well. I don't know how many people were crammed into that one room for Club Night, but it was a lot. I never saw anyone getting out of hand or starting anything. Everyone was just having a good time (especially us).

Here's a shot of just how crowded it was!
DSC01375.JPG

Great pictures everyone. Really wish I had been able to go. Next year I'll be ready.

Told the wife it was in San Fran next year.

"Oh, we're so there! I'll save all my personal days!"

(I'm not going to count on anything QUITE yet, though....)

Here's John Blichmann with his new bling. This is his modular brew rack that is totally adjustable. I told him I was proud owner of two of his Blingmann kettles. He got a kick out of the play on his name.

NHC2008c.jpg

We served up 60 of these hot soft pretzels. They could barely fit in my freezer in my hotel room. I cooked the up in the oven and brought them over and ollllo and Brenda were reheating them and the crowed ate them up.

NHC2008d.jpg

Chad from the Brewing Network back for his 3rd pretzel!!

NHC2008f.jpg

This The Cincinnati Malt Infusers club table. It begs a caption!

NHC2008e.jpg

Originally posted by ohiobrewtus
Hands down, the best beer I had all weekend was Brewtopia's Grapes of Wrath. It was so good that I *almost* wish I would have kept it to myself, but a chance to share it with fellow HBT'ers was just too good to pass up. Justin from BN and Steve White from White Labs also got samples of this and were very impressed. I told Justin to squeeze in a plug for Naked City Brewing and this amazing beer if he wanted more. He got more, but I'm not sure if he got the plug in or not.

Wow, thanks ohio! :mug:

I appreciate the kind words and thanks for sharing with the gang. Wish I could have been there.

Beleve me Topia, we all wish you could have been there!

I think that everyone but EdWort got to try GoW (it's all a bit hazy :drunk:). I had planned on opening it while we were at our booth but there was so much going on that we never got to it until club night was over and we moved to the hospitality suite. By then it was probably 2am or so, olllllo found the bottle still unopened so PseudoChef uncorked it for all to enjoy (all that were there anyway). Sorry to everyone who was there but didn't get to try it!

Damn. I might just have to find a way to go next year. Thats a long flight and I am by no standards rich but it looks like a wonderful time. I would love to see some of the seminars that would be awsome.

Looks like a great time was had by all. SFO is home for me so I'll be there next year!

Let's start a 'banner fund' for next year right now. HBT needs to represent!

Wow, I've been away from the PC too long. Just wanted to pile on the praise and how great it was to meet, and drink with, such great folks. I had a wonderful time and I'm really glad so many people were documenting the experience (to fill in a few blanks here and there). Thanks for posting so many great pics!

Did anyone run into any Whales Club members on club night? I know Brad and Jennifer Jones were there but I'm not sure if they were pouring.

That was the couple that poured Berliner Weiss at your brewout, wasn't it?

I totally forgot that they said they were going to be there. It's too bad, because if they went solo, we could have introduced them to the gang.

Those of us watching "The OlllllllllllO Show" won't forget you!

(we didn't skeeve you out too much, did we?)

Really .... that was sooo cool to broadcast that night. I spent the rest of the weekend popping on from time to time to look for more broadcasts. Thanks for the effort in including those of us whom wish we were there !!!!

Cheers Guys (_)>

I had a great time. Felt like I was there. Thanks olllllo. I never got my trip to the ladies room and at times felt like max headroom wandering around the floor...man there were a lot of furry bellies there.

max_headroom_1.jpg

Back