What does # stand for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
I've seen it all over but can't get a handle on what it means. Does it mean pounds? Cups?

I did a search on the forums and couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks all!

this day will forever be marked as the day that i am officially crowned as king of the retards. let me reign be long and prosperous!

Dextersmom said:
this day will forever be marked as the day that i am officially crowned as king of the retards.

I wish there was a special character key for that. It would be much more useful than some of the others. :D

9rprg1.jpg

sorry it was a 30second ms paint

Dextersmom said:
this day will forever be marked as the day that i am officially crowned as king of the retards. let me reign be long and prosperous!

bigjohnmilford said:
your majesty :mug:

That is just comedy gold! You guys are hilarious!

The one I like to get people with is the "bang". In my world that is the "!" I always tell people bang and they look at me like I have lost my mind!

# = Hash

₤ = Pound

lb(s) = Proper way to abbreviate an English measurement of weight equal to about .453 kilograms.

HBT = A community that looks for your message rather than your form.

Kevin Dean said:
# = Hash

₤ = Pound

lb(s) = Proper way to abbreviate an English measurement of weight equal to about .453 kilograms.

HBT = A community that looks for your message rather than your form.

₤ = Stands for the British Pound Sterling monetary unit not weight

just like $ stands for dollar

Lil' Sparky said:
I've never heard # = hash. Is that a European thing?

I experienced it in England. I was using a British phone card to call back to the States and the recording/woman said "and finish by pressing the hash button." As I held the phone, I asked my coworkers... "what the hell is the hash button?":) (stupid American:D )

abracadabra said:
₤ = Stands for the British Pound Sterling monetary unit not weight

Yeah. :) That's why I tossed in the lb(s) thing to contrast Pounds Sterling with pound weight measure.

Lil' Sparky said:
I've never heard # = hash. Is that a European thing?

I've heard it (infrequently) used here in the States.

lol what have i started?!?

I hypothesize that if i were to magnify my stupidity through artificial means and ask a question many times dumber than the one asked here, I could potentially topple governments.

It's not dumb to ask a question about something you don't know.

What's dumb is to be perfectly content in ignorance.

abracadabra said:

Yes, it was a dumb question.

Way to go, King of the Retards!!

lol......;)

Loop

Dextersmom said:

I hypothesize that if i were to magnify my stupidity through artificial means and ask a question many times dumber than the one asked here, I could potentially topple governments.

You know what I really find great? That you can laugh at yourself. I think that's a wonderful trait to have. My best friend does that all the time- and it's so refreshing.

Thanks for making me LOL today! :mug:

Dextersmom said:

You may have just found your superpower. Now you need your very own Bat-Cave.

hah that was good. I saw the title and had to take a peek.

Also I'm not sure that hash is necessarily from europe. "Bang" (!) and "Hash" (#) are used fairly frequently when related to software and general IT stuff.

abracadabra said:

"Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" - Dr. Samuel Johnson

eddie said:
You may have just found your superpower. Now you need your very own Bat-Cave.

the funny part is i kinda do. Its the storage area in my apartment that i've turned into my "Brew-Cave"

its got my fermenters, bottle collection, and random stuff i've collected through the years.

Can't wait to actually own a house. I've got great plans for my "Man Room"

Back