Florida Hops experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddubduder

Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread to help consolidate all the experiences of everyone trying to grow hops in Florida. Several of us on HBT have had success and failures with nearly every type of hop out there. We can use this thread to provide tips, tricks and of course our experience to break the old wives tail that hops won’t grow well in warm climates.

As my first year plants grow I’ll be documenting what I learn as I go. Please feel free to post your own progress of your own plants.

I’ve received three crowns from Great Lakes Hops (great company, I would definitely recommend them), a Centennial, a Galena and a Willemette. I planted all three on January 17, 2013. It’s been a very mild winter here with very few cold days. As per the directions from Great Lakes Hops suggested, I planted all three in a mound with very little of the crown above the dirt. I actually sprinkled extra potting soil over each crown after I had planted them and then shook the plant a little to even it out. I then placed my pots in a highly shaded area where they will stay for the next two weeks. I’ve watered very little in the first few weeks, keeping the soil moist but not wet, that has been about every three to four days. I have also been trying not to water the plant directly but around the plant to help the plant reach deep for the water thereby growing a bigger root system. After the two weeks is up I’ll begin a once a month fertilizer schedule. I did use miracle grow potting soil mixed with a little compost (about 80/20 ratio) so the soil already has a little fertilizer in it. I’m going to limit the amount of liquid fertilizer and focus more on pellets as they have a better slow release function and will provide the soil with better nutrients.

One thing I would have done differently is drill bigger drainage holes in the two half barrel pots. After talking to several other growers, the root systems will likely clog any small holes you create thereby creating a drainage issue later one. If the location I plan on putting them permanently works this year, I might just plant them in the ground instead of the pots.

image-2648297060.jpg

After a few days in the ground, I am already seeing growth from all three plants, through the Centennial is doing the best. The temperature has been floating around 70s midday and 50s in the evening with a few days of extremes on both sides. The side of my house I’m keeping the plants sees only afternoon sun and very little of it, maybe 2-3 hours max. After the first two weeks is up I’ll move the plants to a location which should get about 4-5 hours of afternoon sun. I’ve read the hops need much longer hours of sun to survive but I’m changing the way I try it to adjust for Florida heat. Our sun is much more intense and 10-12 hours of sun will roast the plants.

image-3856982607.jpg

Almost two weeks in the ground and the Centennial has already produced a bine that I’m going to need to start wrapping around something soon. The other two (Galena and Willamette) are growing and showing life but have not produced a whole lot yet, it’s still very early. I am still following my expected watering schedule, about every four days. Once they get to their permanent home I have a drip system which I’ll hook them up to and keep them watered on a more daily basis, probably ramp it up over a month or so.

image-1676915053.jpg

image-3050874676.jpg

image-1959070866.jpg

My wife used instagram so please excuse the filter. I'll be grabbing some Centennial and Cascade from Great Lakes as soon as she has some in stock.

533671_584511809514_1554366474_n.jpg

Hops in Florida.... I'm in. I'm curious to see how your plants perform and what techniques you use to promote growth. Are you growing to use them in a beer, or just ornamental decorations?

I had to add a last minute stake to the centennial this morning. As I was leaving for work I noticed it had grown so much it was actually falling over the side of the pot. It's only been in the ground for two weeks and already a bine that's needs twine. My permanent place for them isn't ready as I'm getting some work done on the house so hopefully a couple tomato cages will work for the time being. I'll get a picture later today.

What types did you order?

Well, they arrived today and I planted them in 15" pots until I can prepare their planting hills. I ordered two Chinooks and Great Lakes threw in what they thought was a free fuggles crown, but on careful unwrapping, it was a medium crown and a smaller crown/rhizome that had broken off. So, four plants for the price of two. :ban:

Hops in Florida.... I'm in. I'm curious to see how your plants perform and what techniques you use to promote growth. Are you growing to use them in a beer, or just ornamental decorations?

Mainly for the hops flowers, using them in beer. I can quickly see me buying a trellis arch and using them as an ornamental.

I used jungle growth flower & vegetable organic potting mix from Lowes. They're planted in terra cotta pots and I hope to root them in there for a month or so until any danger of the last frost has passed. Once established, I plan to transplant them into soil with the same mix.

Last year, I became mesmurized by the sheer speed at which the bines grew. Awesome to watch! Gonna dry hop the sheet out of an IPA with my 2013 harvest. I have plans to improve this year from what I learned last year and the plants should benefit from it. :drunk:

Boris_the_Russian said:
I have plans to improve this year from what I learned last year and the plants should benefit from it. :drunk:

Any advice for us first year growers? I'm always looking for any seasoned advice which will make my work a little easier/smarter.

Every plant is different, one thing that works for one may not be the same for another. Even though both crowns can be right next to each other.
I started out real methodical with watering and feeding schedules done ONLY on certain days or blah blah blah..... I soon relaized Florida sun is very un-forgiving. During the peak of summer, water! People say "becareful not to drown the plants, too much water is bad". Yes I agree but, the heat, the sun, BRUTAL! With a well drained pot/raised bed/ whatever your media, as long as the drainage is good, you gotta keep the ground MOIST. Not soaked but MOIST.
Once the bines break gound, I cover the entire top with a layer of mulch. The no float, natural brown chipped cypress organic kind Found at Hardware stores. No coloring and chemicals please. I'm big on the organics, especially if you plan to use them for consumption, just my thing yeah know. The mulch helps block sun from the black soil and the wood soaks up water leaving a layer of protection from direct exposure.
Above all remember, These plants are not acustom to this enviroment. Late July through August.....the girls may become heat scorched, covered in bugs, browning leaves with strange markings, holes, and broken lims and twine from tropical storms, hurricanes and birds. Just don't get discouarged. Stick with it, they will produce hops. They're very hardy. It may not be a huge amount at harvest but, You can say with great pride " I grew that and I brew that." :mug:
If I can help, i'd be happy to discuss whatever troubles you and the ladies. I'm no expert but, I've seen some $h!t.

Well, everything is looking good in the pots. I have one Chinook that is just starting to put out some green growth, and there are purple bines sprouting up from the other crowns. I'm also with Boris, in that the heat can be brutal. Once any danger of frost has passed up here in Jax, I plan on getting them into the sandy soil. The drainage is good, perhaps too good. The jungle growth potting soil mix seems to be a good mixture of organic compost, peat moss and perlite/vermiculite, so I may just stick with that and till it into the soil hills for each plant. Good tip on the mulch. I'll be sure to add a generous layer once the plants make it into the ground.

My planting location couldn't be more perfect. It's right next to the house and faces southeast. The plants get about 4-5 hours of direct morning sun and then are shaded out by our old live oaks during the afternoon. I have some 3/4" inch 4x8 foot sections of lattice fence and some old 4x4x10 posts to nail it to, so I should be able to nail together a nice hop wall structure to trellis the hops on.

My biggest concern is bugs. They're just voracious up here. We have monster black grasshoppers and all manner of crawling, flying, hopping and wiggling plant munchers.

Yeah... Insects are a pain in the arse! Had a bout with spider mites last year that nearly had me leaning toward nuclear destruction but, I held out. Turned one of my Cascade plants into a multi level high-rise insect beachside retirement condo. Living in a tropical climate, bugs are to be expected.
What to do? I used an all natural, easy on the trees, chemical free approach that seemed to work well enough. (Since I plan to eat it)
3Tbls hot pepper sauce
1tsp liquid dish detergent
1cup vegetable oil
Shake well to combine and emulsify. Add 1quart of water and use in a spray bottle every 10 days or so. Stay up wind, don't breathe it in. Try not to touch your face and wash your hands.
It works well for mites and aphids. Kills on contact. Once the buds start to show and flowers begin to form.... Stop! You don't want this getting in your brew. Time to ride it out.
Try it out, see how it does against the g-hoppas. If not there is allways "Organocide" found at the local home improvement warehouse.
Welcome to the war, front line will be your backyard and you are the commander and chief. Godspeed

image-3569949122.jpg

I know a lot of people on HBT have said they use Orange Guard. My plan is to try and mix sprays with a couple Marigolds planted around them as decoys for the bugs. I know you will only have so much luck with both of them but the fight must go on.

My crowns came in from Great Lakes Hops late last week. I ordered two Chinook crowns and they sent me another crown of fuggles for free. I've decided to start them in 15" pots and then transfer them to the ground in March once the dangers of frosts have passed. I used Jungle Growth potting mix, which is a good ratio of 1/3 organic compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 perlite/vermiculite. Here's how they're doing at one week from planting. Notice how the fuggles rhizomes are sprouting up in completely different areas of the pot from the main crown. :)

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

After about two weeks I was able to see the strong bines and cut the rest back leaving 4 in each of mine. They are growing crazy fast. It's become my morning routine to check see how much they change over night, I can't believe just how much they do sometimes. I need to post some new pics. I still haven't set up my twine system due to a few issues out of my control so to help support them I grabbed a few 54in tomato cages. The centennial already has all four bones about a foot up the cage and one is about 2ft up.

We're getting a nice soaker up here in North FL. The hops are loving it, although after the front pushes through we're in line for getting another cold snap. Monday and Tuesday looks like our best chances for another frost. Back into the garage they will go. I'll post pictures tomorrow after they dry out a bit.

aiptasia said:
We're getting a nice soaker up here in North FL.

We got it pretty good in Tampa too. All three plants seemed to survive pretty well, now hopefully it doesn't get too cold this weekend. Of course I fertilized the plants yesterday so hopefully not too much of it ran off with the rain, what can you do, just part of life in FLA. At this point the Galena and Willamette seem to be growing the best. The Centennial was out of the gate the fastest but has slowed considerably compared to its brethren. The Galena is about 3.5 feet now and the Centennial is stalled at about 2. All three plants have four trained bines heading up the tomato cage. I'm hoping the work on my house will finish soon as the galena might out grow the cage in the next week or two.

Well, you can check out the Tres Amigos below. This is two weeks of growth from planting in the pots. It's the perfect time to start them with a little 1/4 strength organic fertilizer or a tablespoon of coffee grounds and egg shells. You'll notice the two Chinook plants are a nice lush deep green and have shot more vertically than the fuggles, but the fuggles is nice, bushy and just a shade more yellow. If the yellow coloration is due to nitrogen or magnesium issues, the coffee grounds will ameliorate that.

20130214_111320.jpg

20130214_111329.jpg

20130214_111334.jpg

20130214_111342.jpg

aiptasia said:
Well, you can check out the Tres Amigos

Chinook on the far right has a startling resemblance to one Dusty Bottoms. I'm rooting for Dusty! First to the top of the twine and largest yield I bet.

Sí, muy buena. Muy hermoso. El lúpulo aspecto fuerte y vigoroso.

image-1016234802.jpg

The Fuggles is definitely Ned Nederlander. I seem to have a plethora of hops. Si El Guapo! Pepe, do you know what a Plethora means? No.... no El Guapo.

I moved my centennial from its current pot to a 20g pot today. Overall I think it went well but a few of the upper inches broke when trying to unwind from the tomato cage. The other two plants have been growing like crazy and this one just seemed to stall out. The centennial was the only one in a smaller pot, hopefully moving it will give it more room to grow, expand and become happy again. Fingers crossed. The Galena has officially reached the top of the 54in tomato cage and has started moving along the top wire. It's definitely time to figure out its next stage, via trellis or twine.

Yep, the more root mass the plants have, the more green mass the plants can support. Transplanting it into a larger container will help it with continued root growth. I'm still about ten days away from planting mine in the ground. I'm definitely going to use lattice fencing and 4x4's to create a lean-to against the side of the house. Each lattice panel is 4' x 8' and I should be able to use six sections for three 8' x 8' trellises.

image-775847954.jpg

Had to move to plan B for a longer term placement of the plants. The work on my house is taking way longer to finish (when doesn't it) than I expected so the twine to the rafters is out. I've unravelled a few bines per plant and draped them along the fence, I'm hoping I didn't do too much damage unwinding them. Fingers crossed this works. I'm a little worried about getting too much sun since there is no shade in my backyard but I think being so close to the fence should provide a little shade for the root system.

Attachments

• image-668747115.jpg
    image-668747115.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 259
Yeah, i'd be worried about sun exposure, too. From what i've been following in the other south Florida threads, the hops flowers just fry in the heat of the full sun down here once the temps start climbing into the 90's and above. July and August could be brutal to our plants, so mine are going in an area next to the house with a southeast exposure where they'll get about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight a day, and then shaded out by our big old water oaks the rest of the day. I have a small satsuma tree that has a similar exposure and it's producing the best orange crop every fall. No need for full sun to burn the plants.

I'm going to wait one more week before getting them in the ground. I still have to nail the lattice fence to the 4'x4'x10' poles and secure them with a bracket in a lean-to position against the side of the house. The plants are looking like triffids, growing all over the place big bushy looking hops with long long runners. I'm sure they're all about four feet long by now and growing long. I'm surprised that the fuggles are keeping pace with the growth output from the chinook plants.

I was not prepared for how much these things can move on one night. Yesterday I unwound the top 12in from the tomato cage and strung it along the fence. This morning I go check on them and two of the bines had rewound up the cage. I'm not talking draped over the cage, fully wound up it, tight curls. It truly is amazing.

Still waiting on the cold snaps to calm down a little bit. The plants look like overgrown octopi, reaching for anything their bines can climb. I'm keeping them potted for now sitting in my driveway. Still getting frosts and freezes predicted for the weekend so i'm lax to put them in the ground yet. I can't keep waiting though as i'm sure the plants are on the verge of being root bound in the pots. I'm going to give them one more week, then they're going into the ground the weekend of the 16th of March. Freeze or no freeze.

I am thinking daylight time is a key factor in growth. My second year cascades are only 6 inches tall, no major growth. Bines are duper thick compared to last year

From what I can tell when the plant sprouted had a lot to do with mine. The three plants sprouted at three different times. The centennial got off to an early start and at about two feet has stopped moving for the last month or so. The Willamette was the second to shoot out and and doing pretty decent, thin bines but four strong ones and is growing decently. My galena was the last one to move but when it did holy cow. It grows about 1-3in a day and each bine is the same thickness as four of the Willamette, it's a power house. The three plants were all in the same place getting the same sun and they all get the same fertilizer. I probably should have waited till end of January to let them break ground. I've read with an early movement plant that stalls, it may be best to cut it down and start over if its early enough in the season, but I'll just leave it be. Patience when gardening is key.

Mine are about 3ft high now. I think the cold snaps slowed them down a bit. Also I seem to be getting some brown spots on the leaves. I think they were too dry. I now water them with 2 gallons every morning and once a week throw in some fish emulsification. Mine are in pots, about 15 gallons ea. I need to drill some holes in the bottoms, right now I have holes about 2 inches from the bottom. There is a lattice and some twine for the bines to grow on.

I'll probably split a bag of black gold and fill the rest of the pots. I don't intend on planting these in the ground.

Brewmech said:
I think the cold snaps slowed them down a bit.

I'm in the same boat, I'm hoping the cold snaps call it quits. Even my Galena which has been a beast growing like crazy seems to have stalled now. All three plants look healthy and green but I'm just not seeing the growth I had.

Mine are about 3ft high now. I think the cold snaps slowed them down a bit. Also I seem to be getting some brown spots on the leaves. I think they were too dry. I now water them with 2 gallons every morning and once a week throw in some fish emulsification. Mine are in pots, about 15 gallons ea. I need to drill some holes in the bottoms, right now I have holes about 2 inches from the bottom. There is a lattice and some twine for the bines to grow on.

I'll probably split a bag of black gold and fill the rest of the pots. I don't intend on planting these in the ground.

You'll be better off drilling out holes at the bottom of the pots. Hops don't like wet roots, so i'd avoid those self watering pots or any pots with dishes under them for this reason. They like a good watering followed by a few days of drying out.

I gave mine their first dose of jobe's all purpose organic fertilizer. Each pot got about a full rounded tablespoon sprinkled on the surface per container garden instruction. I've noticed some slight leaf yellowing on my plants on the older leaves, which usually means a lack of nitrogen. The rest of the plants look healthy and vigorous, and the growth has slowed down a lot.

I'm assuming the growth slowing down has everything to do with being root bound. I'm quite sure the plants have completely rooted all of the soil in the pot and the roots are probably coiling around in there. I'll have to cut the sides of the root mass when I transplant them to the soil this weekend. This will encourage them to begin rooting again.

Well I gave them a whole month to come back and no activity. I sliced the bines off all three of the plants on Saturday and already see new bines on all of them this morning. I'm going to up the fertilizer regime to once every three weeks vs the four I was doing before. I've also added a new drop line to them to keep the watering more consistent. Fingers crossed.

Hey guys, just ordered 4 hop rhizomes (2 Cascade and 2 Cenntenial). I am located the nice hot city of Tampa, Florida and looking to join in on the hop growing party we have going on here! I am a little behind on getting started, but better late than never. I was going to do a trial run, do 2 in my aquaponic garden and 2 in a container garden.

From what I have read on here, you guys said no to over water. So I would assume I should not use my self watering system and just manually water.

When you guys use organic fertilizer, what do you guys use? All my plants are organic, but I don't really fertilize anything. The only thing I use is Liquid seaweed w/ chelated iron, other than that the plants receive all the nutrients they need from the fish poop.

Hey Chris, welcome to the fun. Where about a in Tampa are you located? I'm in south pasco. I can't say I'm an expert by any means as I'm still in the middle of learning myself but I can tell you what I've learned so far. I'm not so worried about watering my plants too much. I tried to keep them in the shade as much as possible but they are still receiving several hours of direct sun which to me means they new all the water they can get just to keep hydrated at all. I do have mine on the drip system, getting about a gallon of water a day per plant. I've had some trouble with them stalling out but I believe that had more to do with planting them early and the cold snap we had here throughout march. I've since trimmed them back down to the ground and they are already shooting up new bines. these things are resilient! Have fun, experiment and let us know what works/doesn't.

ddubduder - I am in Town N Country area. Gallon of water a day!! Yikes I need to step it up. They received a ton of water the other day with those rains we had, but haven't given them anything since then.

The plants all sprouted and seem to be doing great! I am going to string them up today on a temp trellis (ladder). They are in containers now, but would eventually like to plant them into the ground. How does the general concensus grow them? Ground or Container?

Back