Vissani Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not using any additional circuit protection in my setup.

The startup current of the compressor is causing your fuse to blow. I doubt the running current of the fridge is anywhere near 10A, it's probably only a couple of amps and should be indicated on the lable on the back of the unit. You just need to find a 10A fuse that is coordinated with the startup current of the compressor. Fuses are designed with different characteristics depending upon the application you want to us it in. Some will open right away and some will open after a delay.

Put in a time delay fuse and it's working great. Thanks for the confirmation that this was the way to go!

Is there a way to have the light on all the time?

Don't know if anyone has done it that way but I'm sure it could be done.

One could also try to replace the thermostat completely with the STC-1000, leaving the cooler functioning "normally". I have been thinking about this and it looks like it is possible and could come out looking nice. I don't really have the time to try it and I kind of like having the option to be able to move the controller to another fridge if need be.

kluge9 said:
Finally got around to plugging mine in (still waiting on STC-1000 and figuring out what I'm going to be doing for heat) but I did the temperature screw adjustment laid out above. You need to twist the screw counter-clockwise to tighten the spring and just sticking in both a dial and mercury thermometer (no water bottle) they read 18*. And that was only after being turned on for about 45 minutes at level 7. Good tip jborgy!!

About how many turns did it take to turn it down? I've done a half turn and am checking how far down the temp goes now.

Lumpyyyyy said:
About how many turns did it take to turn it down? I've done a half turn and am checking how far down the temp goes now.

To be honest, don't remember. I just turned it all the way down because I knew I would be putting it behind a temp controller. I turned mine all the way in, I do believe though.

Has anyone else noticed that the photos posted in the OP by ingchr1 have disappeared or is it me?

I just checked and I was able to see his original pictures.

wazzubrad said:
Has anyone else noticed that the photos posted in the OP by ingchr1 have disappeared or is it me?

Just picked mine up from HD as well. Been hunting for this guy for a while, no luck in any of my local stores. I was traveling in Long Island for work when I drove past this particular HD when I decided to stop in and check, not thinking I'd find it... But there it was, last one in stock on clearance for $117! It was like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Stoked!

Have a chance to get one cheap on Craigslist.

Just want to clarify:
The 52-bottle Vissani will fit a standard plastic fermenting bucket with no mods?
With a Johnson temp controller it will work 60-64 degree temps?

Just want to clarify:
The 52-bottle Vissani will fit a standard plastic fermenting bucket with no mods?

Yes, buckets and carboys will fit with no mods. In this thread there is a post I put up with photos of each in there.

Pointyskull said:

Just want to clarify:

The 7.9g wine pail will not fit.

I fit a large diameter bucket that I use for my 6 gallon wine kits. I just have to put a spacer under the front edge of the bucket to tip it back a bit.
20130318_0620171-59067.jpg

A few counter clock wise turns on the screw in the thermostat, and I was getting ice to form when I put a pot of water in the cooler, so 60-64 should not be a problem. I think un-modified it was pulling down to 52 deg F.

Picked up the used Vissani yesterday!

Looking for recommendations on which Johnson Control unit would work best to keep ale temps:
the $53 Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller
or
the $72 Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit

Read the reviews of the A19AAT-2C and that seemed like it would work.
Just wondering what the rest of you are using and why.

Picked up the used Vissani yesterday!

Looking for recommendations on which Johnson Control unit would work best to keep ale temps:
the $53 Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller
or
the $72 Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit

Read the reviews of the A19AAT-2C and that seemed like it would work.
Just wondering what the rest of you are using and why.

Get a 2 stage controller so you can heat too

Pointyskull said:
Excuse another dumb question, so bear with me:

Why would I need a two-stage for a fridge?
I'm unclear on how heat control (or even how it would work on a fridge) is different from just controlling the fridge temp.

Thanks...!

Sometimes you may want to raise the temperature. For example with a lager you would raise the temperature for a diacetal rest. Or if you do stepped fermentation where you progressively raise the temperature to keep the yeast more active or such. If your space is on the cold side you won't be able to raise the temperature without a heat source.

Also, it provides for tighter temperature control. The fridge may overshoot a degree or two by itself so the heater can keep you in a tighter band.

Sometimes you may want to raise the temperature. For example with a lager you would raise the temperature for a diacetal rest. Or if you do stepped fermentation where you progressively raise the temperature to keep the yeast more active or such. If your space is on the cold side you won't be able to raise the temperature without a heat source.

Also, it provides for tighter temperature control. The fridge may overshoot a degree or two by itself so the heater can keep you in a tighter band.

Thanks!

Dumb question #2:

With a two-stage controller - like the Ranco ETC-211000-000 - do I need a heat source (like a wrap) or will the "two stage" functionality of the controller allow me to set a high and low temp point on the fridge itself?

Pointyskull said:
Dumb question #2:

With a two-stage controller - like the Ranco ETC-211000-000 - do I need a heat source (like a wrap) or will the "two stage" functionality of the controller allow me to set a high and low temp point on the fridge itself?

You'll need a wrap or belt or other such heat source. I used a 12" wide heat tape and 24" long from these guys: http://www.reptilebasics.com/heating. Order the connection kit and they'll hook it up too.

Any tips on finding these now? It looks like HD has stopped selling them. Is there a suitable replacement?

If you find another cooler that seems to be the right size and price, see if you can download the manual. If it has a wiring diagram showing the thermostat, you can probably bypass it in the same way as was done in this Vissani project.

Just picked up a eWave 52 bottle wine cooler (MCWC52M) off of Craig's List for $125! Looks like I will be able to fit two fermenters in there (I use old pin lock kegs to ferment in).

Super stoked.

Thanks for a great build thread.

I'm in the process of building a fermentation chamber using this unit and like the OP will be using reptile heat tape mounted to the inside wall for heating. I'll mostly be fermenting at ale temps and will sometimes have two 3 gallon better bottles fermenting. Has anyone with a similar configuration found it necessary and/or beneficial to install a fan inside the fridge?

DoubleEh said:
I'm in the process of building a fermentation chamber using this unit and like the OP will be using reptile heat tape mounted to the inside wall for heating. I'll mostly be fermenting at ale temps and will sometimes have two 3 gallon better bottles fermenting. Has anyone with a similar configuration found it necessary and/or beneficial to install a fan inside the fridge?

I haven't found the need to; I find my temps stay very stable. Maybe if I had a data logger in place and saw a need for more aggressive temp change rates I'd consider it but I really doubt it's needed.

I haven't found the need to; I find my temps stay very stable. Maybe if I had a data logger in place and saw a need for more aggressive temp change rates I'd consider it but I really doubt it's needed.

Thanks for the info. I won't worry about a fan for now in that case.

Just wanted to post here and say thanks to OP for this writeup. I'd been looking around at mini fridges and didn't want to have to go crazy modifying one. Picked up one of these for $75 on craigslist and it's gonna be great. I just wanted to confirm that it will (just barely) fit a 6.5 gallon glass carboy with no modifications. Can't wait to start brewing lagers!

:mug:

Hi there,

Longtime reader and this is the first time I can't find an existing answer. I picked up a similar Vissani fridge from craigslist and I'm hoping someone can offer some wiring advice. The model I have includes a built in fan (see photo of diagram) and I'm not sure whether I should bypass the fan or have it run. My plan is to use the fridge as a fermentation chamber controlled by an STC-1000+. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks for the great how-to thread!

Cheers!
vissani.jpg

I'd say if you've got the fan in there you might as well use it, it would be very easy to have it come on whenever the compressor does but it would take a little more wiring to have it always on or to come on during heating and cooling.

My Vissani is keeping a ball lock full of maibock at 34 degrees right now.

The fan should help with temperature stability and reduce frost formation. I'm in the process of installing one in mine.

The fan should help with temperature stability and reduce frost formation. I'm in the process of installing one in mine.

i just got a MVWC52B on craigslist. where would the fan go? does that keep the frost off the back half? looking into some of the tweaks but happy i got a great deal!

also - since i just got it, does the light need to stay on for it to cool??? i cant find the mfg instructions anywhere. thanks

It should, here is a 6 gallon carboy:

Vissani6GalCarboy.jpg

and bucket:

VissaniBucket1.jpg

I have seen with other visanni units; they can turn a screw to get the temp lower by doing a 3/4 turn. does this apply to this unit and if so - where would the screw be?

I have the Vissani Mvwc52b

thanks!!!

I have a used Vissani that I use with a temp controller, but the door has developed a slight gap at the top when closed.

I know this is probably impossible to diagnose this way, but I was wondering what I could do to correct that? Replace the seal?

Back