Help please need a motor for my Grain Mill don't know what to get?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I have a Shmidling Malt Mill (sp?) I originally bought an electric motor on Ebay unknown horsepower but I assume pretty low like 1/4 horsepower and made a belt and pulley system. Well the motor could not turn the mill with grain in it. So I got a 1/2" drill as a temporary fix. Welllllll I have already burned thru 2 drills and I am on my 3rd. Unlike other mills the Shmidling rollers are like 10" long or whatever they are which I realize now takes a lot of power to turn when loaded with grain. So before I burn thru my 3rd drill I need to get an electric motor to run this mill. There are a few electric motor repair places in town and they also sell used motors but I don't know what size I should get????? So what HP motor should I get???

S

It all depends on the size of the pulleys. A small 1/4 horse would do it but it would do it rather slow but I think slow is better with the grain. Call or email the manufacturer and ask them what you need for a motor and pulley size.

So how do you like the mill? I have been looking at them:ban:

It works great when I can get something that will turn it. Like I said the rollers are long so they churn a lot of grain at once requiring a lot of muscle moreso than the smaller roller ones like at my LHBS. But I am doing 10 gallon all grain batches so hand cranking the grain at the store is kinda out of the question.

I have like an 1 1/2" pulley for the motor and a 12" pulley on the mill.

So would 1HP be good to be safe?

I used a 90volt DC motor off e-bay ($25.00shipped) along with a Dart controller $ 40.00 shipped. Turns my malt mill just fine, only 120 rpm @ 98 inch lbs of torque direct lovejoy coupler nice small package.

This is my little motor

image-604755935.jpg

150 inch lbs of torque @ 120 rpm

image-3108824962.jpg

I just kept watching c-list and e-bay, I knew I wanted a DC 90 degree gear motor with at least 50 inch lbs of torque @ 90-300rpm. This one I bought off e-bay for $25 the Dart controller was $40. I was out bid at the last second on a 90v DC 230 rpm 78 inch lbs of torque that I was originally was going for then this one showed up so all worked out for the better. this one will pull your arm through the rollers. :D

The info off the motor is; RAE Corporation Part #6040006 McHenry Il.
90 volt DC 120 rpm
4.56 amp 150 inch lbs torque
TENV enclosure Frame starts with a 1 the rest is missing

Their web site lists it as a G33 motor

Back