Do i need a false bottom in biab pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackjama

Reaction score
I am putting together a 60 qt pot to do biab. As i was researching it, i remember noting i needed a false bottom to protect my bag. However i can't find that now.
Can someone cofirm this?

I saw somewhere where somebody used a perferated pizza pan with ss bolts as legs to act as a false bottom. Any other ideas?

There is a general recommendation that you have something in your kettle to keep the BIAB bag off of the bottom of the kettle. Many members use a basket that goes with their steamer kettle and put the bag in the steamer basket. This is enough to keep their bags off the bottom of the kettle. A false bottom would also work. Even something like a pizza pan with holes drilled in it and maybe some small stainless bolts to lift the pizza pan from the bottom of the kettle would work (I am thinking of this to avoid the expense of purchasing a separate false bottom if you don't need to). EDIT: Sorry, I did not read through your entire post. But you get the idea.

Anything that might create a little space.

I hope that this helps.

Mark:mug:

It is advisable to have something on the bottom of the pot if you are going to fire the burner. Two ways around this are:

1. Don't fire the burner w/ the bag in the pot
2. slightly lift and suspend the bag while firing the burner

IMO, BIAB can easily and successfully be done without adding heat during the mash and also skipping a mashout, therefore nothing is needed in the bottom of the kettle IMO.

When doing BIAB and I apply heat, I pull the bag up a bit, so it doesn't touch the bottom.
I don't lift it out all the way, just pull it up several inches. Plus I stir, since the grain is a good insulator and I don't want pockets of very hot water, that could denature enzymes.

If you have a false bottom, I think you still must be careful and constantly stir when the heat is on, and for some time after, as how water will be stuck on the bottom and want to rise, but be blocked by the grain bag.

Maybe something like:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PZD63M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Except this may not be safe, a sit's from China, and not SS.

I've read a number of BIAB brewers who mention the benefit of a mash out. I have not experimented, so I can't offer an opinion. But I would not assume it offers no benefit without some experiments to compare results.

I also think sparging (thus mashing less thin) and SCOOBing have a noticable impact on efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I have a little bit better understanding. Bottom line: Do not let the bag sit on the bottom of the pan if you fire up the burner.

I think i will go with the pizza pan approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use a metal collapsible steamer basket in the bottom. Works perfectly, $8.

I use a strainer basket with full volume (no sparge). Stirring frequently and adding short bursts of heat as needed, I found a 10 second burst will raise the temp 3 or 4 deg F.
I mash out at 168F and use insulated rubber gloves to squeeze as much as possible.
Take a SG reading after gathering the runnings, and then another one after the boil. My efficiency is right at 80%.

My first 2 BIAB batches I had no need to fire the kettle as the summer heat maintained temp just fine. As fall approaches I have found a need to both fire the kettle and insulate it after doughing in. I created a few scorch marks on the voile bag on my last batch, but that was because I put the bag in as I was heating the strike water. I have purchased and plan on using a collapsible vegetable steamer in the future, to keep the bag from becoming trapped between the bottom of the dip tube and the bottom of the kettle.

in summary i guess, best to use no heat w/ a bag in the pot or raise it off the bottom of the pot...and if you apply heat, as with many things in brewing, a little patience and a low flame is all you might need.

I use a cake cooling rack in the bottom of my BK to keep the bag off the bottom. It allows water to circulate under the bag. Worked fine for me.

I see a lot of brewers on YouTube using binder clips to keep their bags secured to the pot. I'm wondering if pre-brew if you could make sure the bottom of the bag won't reach the bottom of the pot and set the bag before bringing your water up and pouring in your grains. Might give that a shot next round.

I use binder clips on mine and have no problems. I did a batch this past week and with the colder weather and a windy day, I had to fire it up 3 times. I will be looking at adding some sort of insulation material to my pot while mashing going forward.

Back