Need help with fresh wet hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanThomas

Reaction score
So I was gifted a large amount of fresh cascade hops last evening and would like to use them to brew a harvest ale tomorrow. I know these need to be used ASAP in order to preserve their freshness, so if anyone could help me formulate a recipe and utilize these to make a one of a kind ale, that would be AWESOME! I've yet to weigh them, but my guess is there is at least 1 pound of Michigan-grown cascades.

I'd like to use Maris Otter and Crystal as my malts, maybe 15lbs MO and 1lb Crystal 15L, and US-05 for a clean ferment. I know wet hops should only be used for aroma and flavor, so I'm thinking 15 minute or less for timing. I'm lost as to which bittering hop (and in what amount) I should use to pair nicely with the cascades. Could anyone suggest a nice hop schedule to acheive ~70 IBU? I know it will be a bit unpredictable with the wet hops varying by the hour, but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :D

If you are going to use the wet hops, you use them at a rate of 2X the amount of dry hops. The other option would be to dry them!

As far as storage, just keep them in a ziplock bag in the fridge if you plan on using them soon, in the freezer for longterm storage.

They are in the fridge right now, and I want to use them as a wet hop addition. Harvest ale is the definite goal. I really am looking for any suggestions for bittering hops and quantities and timing for additions throughout the recipe.

You're right on, use them late. Add in handfuls throughout the last 10 mins of the boil. Stop adding at flameout, start chilling, and add the rest once you're below 160, then chill slowly the rest of the way (~30-45mins).

Grainbill looks fine, not sure your eff% or batch size, but looks nice and simple.

Any smooth bittering hop will do, I used Bravo in mine, but use whatever is available.

Awesome.... Bravo is one of my favorites. Any suggestions as to amounts at 60 or 30? Maybe 1 oz Bravo at 60 and 1 oz at 30? Or should I up those?

One of the brains at my LHBS/Trained American Brewers Guild graduate did this with local CT cascades.

http://brewniverse.tumblr.com/post/9414484491/connecticut-pale-ale I think they were dry so you'd have to up the amounts for wet. He used gambrinus ESB malt which you could definately replace with Marris Otter.

He's a pretty stellar brewer. He aimed for a base brew that would let the cascades shine through.

I have done a few fresh hop pales over the last 6 years and did a Belgian Dubble tis year
I use a 4:1 fresh/ dry ratio and put the in at flameout. Then wait till you get the fresh aroma then pull them out and cool. Putting them in the boil you loss a lot of the fresh characteristics.
Most commercial guys just use a hopback.

Went with this:

Cascade Harvest IPA

6.5 gallons

All Grain
1.068~OG→1.017~FG→6.7%ABV 70 IBU 8.5°L SRM

Yeasts

US-05

Fermentables

Maris Otter 11.25 pounds (70%)
Munich (Light) 3 pounds (19%)
Crystal 20L 1.75 pounds (11%)

Batch Sparge