Getting ready for bottling day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

So im still new here an im preparing for my first ever bottling session.
I was wondering what the more advanced brewers would advise?
My beer is fermenting in my spare room upstairs. I would like to bottle in my kitchen downstairs (nearer to stanatizing gear). Will I be alright moving it in its fermenter? Should I do it the day before to allow anything thats shifted to settle back down?
Also I plan on making up my priming sugar solution in a sanatized jug and pouring that into the bottle before the beer because I dont, as yet, have a second bucket to add it to before bottling. Anyone see any major problem with that?

Many thank in advance.

If you are moving your fermenter, you are correct that you want to give it a day to resettle before you bottle. And are you pouring the solution into a bottling bucket first? That seems to be what you are saying and that is what most do...add solution then add beer in a way that it whirlpools into your solution and gets evenly distributed.

No. I was planning on making up the priming sugar solution in a pint jug. Then pouring straight into the bottles. Then filling up bottles straight from the fermenting bucket. I would like to do it the normal way but havent got a secondary bucket yet.

Be very precise with your calculations on the priming solution and how you measure it into each bottle, and store your bottles in a rubbermaid with a lid until after they carb. It might be easier and safer to get some carb tablets so you don't produce any bottle bombs.

+1 on the carb tabs if you don't have or want to get a bottling bucket. But if you have to go to the LHBS to get the tabs, I would forgo that and buy a bucket. There are other benefits to that transfer. You would add the priming solution first and then transfer the beer from the primary allowing it to slowly mix together. Then let it rest for a short while to settle out any solids that came from the primary. Now you will be able to fill the bottles from above any sediment with a somewhat even amount of priming sugar in each bottle.

Run to lowes or home depot and pick up a food grade 5g bucket. Make your transfer as you add your priming sugar. Then clean out your bottle bucket and transfer again which will mix up the sugar better. Extra step but mixes everything well and the buckets are cheap.

There is a lot of good info in this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

I would highly recommend getting a proper bottling bucket and wand. Then you can mix your priming solution, put it in the bucket and rack the beer on top of it and it will mix properly. Trying to get the proper amount into each bottle is a recipe for disaster.

How were you planning to get the beer from the primary into the bottles? You really want to be careful to not get oxygen into the beer at this point and the best way to do that is use a bottling bucket and bottle wand that fills the bottles from the bottom. You spent time and money to brew this batch of beer and I would hate to see you mess it up by not bottling the correct way.

Believe me, spending a couple of bucks for the bucket and wand will make your life easier and the beer better.

Thanks for the advice people.
I think I will go get another bucket then. I dont want bottle bombs! Im nervous enough about infections as it is, lets not throw explosives into the mix!

Make sure it's a food grade bucket. If it doesn't say then it's not! Be careful of you clean them also so you don't scratch the sides. Sure fired way to begin bacteria growth later on.

But yes bottling bucket and wand are your best bet

Latest posts

Back