What about steeping Carapils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcause

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,
New brewer here. Just put my 4th batch (extract w/specialty grains) in the primary.

My question is this: Did I screw up by steeping carapils with my crystal malt?

I read the following from John Palmer on HowToBrew.com

"Dextrin malt has no diastatic power. It must be mashed; if steeped it will contribute a lot of unconverted starch and cause starch haze."

For my latest batch I had my LHBS crush 1.5 lb of 10L crystal and 8oz of Carapils for me. I steeped both of these for 20 minutes at 155 F then raised temp to 170 F and removed the grain bag. After reaching full boil I added 4lbs pale LME and 2lbs extra light DME.

This is the second batch that I have steeped 8oz of Carapils in. The 1st batch I did this with is bottle conditioning right now. It tasted great right out of the secondary so Im hoping everything is OK

Thanks

"Dextrin malt has no diastatic power. It must be mashed; if steeped it will contribute a lot of unconverted starch and cause starch haze." - blah blah blah.

If starch haze is the worst thing you have to worry about on your 5th batch, you're doing great. Relax, you got your temps right, you soaked your grain, you pulled sugars out which will contribute to the batch, and it'll be fully drinkable when you're done.

kvh

You'll be fine. It's just haze....

I've steeped carapils once or twice, found it to be add maybe a bit of haze, but nothing that would really bother me. Especially not if you're just talking about a quarter pound...

I think it's just a cosmetic thing. If you based your calculations on it being converted your gravity might be lower (or FG higher) than expected since it wasn't converted but you should be fine as far as taste.

Another noob here. Only on my third batch. So does Carapils add any of the advertised characters to an extract batch? I have noticed that a few of the extract kits from Midwest include this, and my Fat Tire clone from there included Munich 10L, which is also supposed to be mashed. I am assuming they do, just not as efficiently as mashing. I’m confused, I need another beer…

Thanks very much for the responses. It always helps to hear from someone who has been there / done that.

As far as the question:

"does Carapils add any of the advertised characters to an extract batch?"

I don't personaly know. Both batches that I added the Carapils to are not ready to drink yet.

AC

I just brewed a batch last night and steeped .75lbs of carapils. In my last 15 minutes of the boil I added Irish moss. Will that counter-act the haze?

(not that I'm worried about haze, mind you :D )

fezzman said:
I just brewed a batch last night and steeped .75lbs of carapils. In my last 15 minutes of the boil I added Irish moss. Will that counter-act the haze?

(not that I'm worried about haze, mind you :D )

Beano!!!!!

Brewing Clamper said:
Beano!!!!!

I'd like to experiment with some on a big beer sometime. This batch will be boring enough without getting dried out. :eek: I also need to make sure it is ready by the 4th of July. Doesn't Beano often create an unpredictably long ferment?

O.k I just found more info...

http://morebeer.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11675&view=next&sid=ba80085b727482048d833f08cf2a8a18

Third post from the bottom of page 1 says this:

I've read an official explanation by a Bob Widmaier of Briess officially saying that their Carapils yields the same unfermentable dextrines (which is the point of using Carapils in the first place) REGARDLESS of whether it's mashed or steeped:

"CaraPils, like caramel malts, black malts and chocolate malts, have no enzymatic activity themselves, but the functional components in CaraPils like those in caramel malts are soluble without mashing. So even if you do mash them, the process of making CaraPils produces enzyme resistant water soluble starch pieces (dextrins) that are retained in the beer and produce the desired thickening. So, the same stuff comes from CaraPils whether they are mashed or steeped."

Steep Away fellow Noob!:tank:

Back