Lazy Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibfried

Reaction score
Anyone out there ever completed the mashing process one day and boiled the wort the next day. I thought about taking it easy on this all grain process, and spreading the fun out for two days. I can see how this could pose a problem as far as nasties getting started, but you never know.

Has anyone tried it?

I havent done it but it should be fine. There are suppliers who will sell you liquid wort which is essentially the same as what you would produce the first day and finish the next. The boil process will take care of anything that may get in between wort production and brew day. Unless there is some vigorous fermentation going on in your wort come brew day (which is highly unlikely) you would be fine. I think the biggest disadvantage here is getting everything back out and stanitized to use again the next day. That and the energy loss of having to heat the wort back up instead of it starting at mash out temperatures.

There are several members in our club out here that'll mash the night before then bring the sweet wort to the brewout. This saves brew time and lends to more tasting time.

Wild

I did this with a partial mash batch. The results were the same as when I did it all in one day. I was able to cut about 1.5 hours off my brew day.

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
I think the biggest disadvantage here is getting everything back out and stanitized to use again the next day.

I disagree here. I don't sanitize anything that has to do with the mash. The only equipment that I sanitize is the post-boil stuff. Anything before that doesn't really matter....of course you want it clean though.

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
That and the energy loss of having to heat the wort back up instead of it starting at mash out temperatures.

Completely agree here. Especially with an all grain batch. You will actually be adding time to your normal boil time when mashing the night before. I haven't tried it with an all grainer, so you'll have to pay attention to how much extra time it takes you to bring the wort to a boil and see if its worth it.

Good luck :D

wild said:
There are several members in our club out here that'll mash the night before then bring the sweet wort to the brewout. This saves brew time and lends to more tasting time.

Wild
Do they put the wort in a fridge or something, or just leave it at room temperature? I'm thinking about doing this now :)

Well, I work in evenings, so I get the mornings off. This is brew time for me. I'll be starting my first all grain batch real quick here - have all the equipment ready. I just don't want to get up too early - You know how it is. Spread out the fun over a couple of days... I'll try it.

Thanks fellas.

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I got a question on even lazier potential method...

Boil up a wort, strain, add grain alcohol, chill, carbonate with dry ice, lager it and serve?

Spelling corrected:
**** happens, especially with dirty glasses.

Last edited:
Seems legit.

:confused:

Like you never, ever mispelled a word? Jeez, I asked question that I have NOT seen covered, though the Carbonation by Dry-Ice method IS covered.

I have a rent house, cats, dogs, wife, kids and an asshat for a landlord. Anything I can do quickly, while using minimal space is a good thing. Hopefully, the wife and I will be RVing, before too much longer, and space will be that much more of a premium.

Obviously, have to cut back on the fermentable sugars, to keep it from being overly sweet, but surely there's a way to do this.

Probably, but not w/o a reason.

Guessing I need an all-grain non-alcoholic recipe, for external carbonation, as if using a fountain tap/syrup setup. Make the syrup, add water and alcohol, bottle, then carbonate in the bottles, with dry-ice, rather than fermenting with yeast.

Brew a wort, omit priming sugar, add alcohol, and carbonate?

You've been a member here since 08 and that's the best solution you've come up with for making a quick beer?

Yes, it will make an overly sweet, grain alcohol tasting, carbonated cocktail.

It will not be beer by the farthest stretch of the imagination.

No, I've been in here that long and reached a desperation point, dealing with my landlord, and, by definition fermenting an all grain beer MAKES grain alcohol

Looking at about a 25:1 ratio for wort to 190 proof Everclear... Hardly what one would call a 'strong' grain alcohol content, for a near perfect 4.0% abv mix... ~20 ml per 1/2L bottle, if you will...

I prefer "Pappy" over "Pabst"
:tank:

Pics from new phone 075.jpg

Lazy brew that's actually beer and quite tasty (3 gallon batch):

Lazy IPA
Bring two gallons of water to boil,
Turn off heat and add 1 can Alexander's pale LME, 1/4# brown sugar, 1 oz Simcoe,
Cover and let sit for a half hour,
Chill with the third gallon of water that was in the freezer,
Ferment and keg or bottle as usual.

(I use this recipe to get unhopped wort to feed the bug cultures)

Would work, if I had space to ferment. Figuring on an all-grain BiB wort, add Everclear, carbonate in flippies with Dry Ice.

Since I love my Lone Star, I'll be aiming for that kind of flavor. Local brew-supply has an all-grain BiB for a Lone Star Clone, so I'm slightly ahead of the curve on finding what I'm looking for. I can tweak the recipe by taste, with each batch, until I hit what I think is right. I go through a case of beer a month, more or less, so I could split 5 gallon worts in half, do one, adjust a 2nd and compare, speeding up the overall process to my own satisfaction.

Back