Pressure Dropping overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I hooked up my CO2 for the first time last night and set it at 11psi.
This morning when I checked on it, it was at 5psi?
Is this normal and I just need to keep checking on it and turning it back up to 11psi, or do I have a leak?
I tried the search function and I was unable to find any answer.
Any help would be appreciated. This is my 1st time kegging and I am trying the set it and forget it method. Thank you in Advance!

Was the keg carbed? Where is your kegerator (in an unheated garage)?

I have noted pressure changing sometimes, but it always seems related to the carbonation level in the keg or the temperature.

Was the keg carbed? Where is your kegerator (in an unheated garage)?

I have noted pressure changing sometimes, but it always seems related to the carbonation level in the keg or the temperature.

I have my kegerator sitting in the kitchen. The inside temp reads 40F.
I highly doubt that keg was carbed, it was only hooked up for under 24 hrs.

At such low pressures (and small volumes) these regs can sometimes appear to be set higher than they really are. Especially if you bleed the lines quickly and then abruptly shut off flow (like a QD poppet), the reg will often 'overshoot'.

If you still have plenty of CO2 in the tank and all the valves are open then the reduced pressure should NOT be due to a leak. If there were a leak the reg would still maintain pressure (unless it was a massive leak and the reg couldn't keep up)...you'd just lose CO2 over time.

I would just tweek up the pressure and monitor it. Once stable it should stay set.

But you should always do a leak check, that should be SOP. Either submerge in water and look for bubbles or spray with Starsan (or soapy water) and look for bubbles. And imo, make sure you tighten the stem to the tank valve and re-tighten this connection periodically. They somehow seem to work loose over time.

Did you just put the tank in the freezer? If yes, I've found I need to reset my regulator after about 24 hrs. Once it's reset, I have no issues.

Did you just put the tank in the freezer? If yes, I've found I need to reset my regulator after about 24 hrs. Once it's reset, I have no issues.

I think this was the issue. After I reset it this morning and came home after working, pressure was holding steady. I cant wait to pull my first pint!

I just kegged two batches I can't wait to get to. I can pitch the yeast and have the patience of Job, but once it's in the keg, I start getting a bit antsy after 24 hrs

Back