Can you point me in the right direction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
Where can I find the 411 on making a mash tun? I plan on using a 48/54 qt cooler and would like to make a manifold system. I tried doing search but I am borderline retarded and did't get far.

thats for a water cooler, I am using a 54 qt cooler and want to set up a manifold drain system. I saw one somewhere...

thats for a water cooler, I am using a 54 qt cooler and want to set up a manifold drain system. I saw one somewhere...

You mean these instructions here?

You can use the same instructions for your cooler as for a water cooler. You might need to add some more fittings and drill a hole in the cooler, if it didn't come with a drain or anything. I converted one of these into an MLT by using essentially the same parts outlined on that page. I did my braid a bit differently in that I made a T-junction inside the cooler and looped the braid to connect to both ends of the T, but other than that pretty much the same design.

For batch sparging will the SS braid work for you? I don't think you need to complicate it. No matter how much water you can collect the maximum wort throughput is the diameter of your tube through the side of your MT and FlyGuy has yet to have a stuck sparge with the braid.

I dont know what pex is...

I have a ton of cvpc elbows laying around so I just need the pipe and the ball valve etc.

Would it be overkill to use a 1/4" piece of ss sheet with holes drilled in it for a false bottom AND a manifold?

I dont know what pex is...

I have a ton of cvpc elbows laying around so I just need the pipe and the ball valve etc.

Would it be overkill to use a 1/4" piece of ss sheet with holes drilled in it for a false bottom AND a manifold?

Pex is newer type of plastic flexible pipe used in home plumbing. You'll see it all over at HD or Lowes, it usually is white,blue, or red in comes in huge 50-100ft rolls.

Regarding the stainless sheet, it's not necessary, but if you can explain why you would to do that, it won't be overkill either. :)

Schwagger,

I just built a gravity three teir and upgraded to new kettles. I have a 48 qt cooler with a full cvpvc manifold and 1/2 bulkhead. Works great and looking for a new home if your interested PM me.

I am borderline retarded and did't get far.

Since you said it, my advice would be to keep it simple and batch sparge. Doesn't get much easier than this.

Simple All Grain Brewing - German Pilsner

Or even easier if your cooler has a drain, just heat the end of some slightly oversized tubing in hot water, and pull it through as shown in the link below. Combine these two methods w/ a tube pulled through, a braid clamped or zip tied to the tubing, and a simple clamp to keep the tube above the wort level. As simple as it gets...yet very effective.:mug:

Cheap and Easy Mash Tun

Schwagger,

I just built a gravity three teir and upgraded to new kettles. I have a 48 qt cooler with a full cvpvc manifold and 1/2 bulkhead. Works great and looking for a new home if your interested PM me.

PM sent, sir

Back