Another stupid newbie question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
My secondary primary fermenter is happily bubbling, but I think it's bubbling too well. The airlock I had on it was developing some sludge in it, so I replaced the lock with a blow off hose.

When I did, I noticed that there were bubbles forming around the lip where the hose was insterted into the fermenter. Is that cause for concern that bacteria could enter? If air can get out can't something bad get in?

Hunter

From most of the posts I've read they say if it's fermenting that heavy there is little possibility of anything getting in. I'm no expert though, my first batch is in primary as we speak. I would think that as long as you sanitized your blow off hose and took the right precautions there wouldn't be any problems.

By chance what are you using as your fermenters? What size?
Dan

damn what a stupid question

oh sorry :D

at this point you are experiencing a vigorous fermentation, alcohol is now present. the chances of you skunking it are slim imo

The fermentor with the hefe is a normal-sized fermenting bucket with plenty of head space for the suds. The fermentor with the brown ale is a 6 gal. carboy.

I didn't think it would be too much of a problem, but I suppose like a dad with a new baby I'll be overly paranoid until I get a few under my belt.

My main worry now is that I contaminated something and will have 10 gallons of swill when it's all done. Is there a way to tell that your equipment is sanitary? You can't see bacteria...

From my questions and readings, pretty much it's like a fish swimming upstream during heavy fermentaon. So long as you had positive pressure comming out it would prevent much from getting in.. I had a full blown blow out about 3 weeks ago where the airlock ended up on the opposite side of the room and it blew out all night. The batch was ok and no infection due to the fact that it was too busy spackling my kitchen and not taking up any bacteria. Just keep an I on it and keep smelling the bubbles comming out of the airlock for a real off smell. I've been told that you can smell infection very well..

Back