Possibly in a Jam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I made a batch of blackberry jam wine according to the recipe here. Everything was going great (very active) for the first 3-4 days, then everything pretty much stopped. The OG was 1.902. Temp has been a steady 73. It has been at 1.022 and not moving for the last week (about 2.5 weeks so far). There was a thick layer of crud on top, I thought it was purple krausen. Is there anything to check to see what the issue is as to why it is not moving or is this ok. The post mentioned that it should get below 1.000 in a few weeks. I am not in a hurry, but I would have thought a little movement downward would be the norm at this point.

What yeast did you use? I assumed 1.902 was a typo and used 1.092 & 1.022 and got 9.17% alcohol. Depending on yeast and nutrients fermentation could be over, but might restart with the introduction of some nutrient if it was not used

Many whom have mad blackberry jam wine have reported a stall, while others just ran into the typical slow down as you approach 1.000. If your OG was in 1.090 range there really is no reason why this should not ferment to dry. But there are some questions such as what yeast was used, have you attempted to dose again with nutrient? Many ferments are known to take a while to drop those last 10-20 points, that may simply be the cause. I would give it 10 days and check SG again, if no movement then I would rack it and pitch a new yeast like EC-1118 or K1V-1116, that should take care of it.

Thanks all for the info. That was a typo (1.092 is right). I used premiere curvee like the post suggested. I don't know enough to deviate from the instructions yet. I will see how this turns out and make adjustments in the future. I do see some areas on the top that is a fine foam like it is trying to work. It is good to know others have had stalls on this stuff. I don't feel so bad. I will give it another week or so and check again (optimism returning).

Back