Plugging Holes in Control Panels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugmaster

Reaction score
I accidentally drilled two holes for receptacles too close to one another on the bottom of my control panel and need plug them. Ideally, I'd like to drill again over the same spot.

Does anyone have any advice on how to plug these holes without having to weld?

You JB weld a piece of metal over the holes. If you are planning on using the same space you might want to cutout a bigger square before jb welding someone over it. That way you only have to drill through the new piece and not the new and old.

I would suggest putting the patch on the inside and filling the gap with a sandable body filler like bondo if the appearance is important to u

Good call on the Bondo.

Can I just go to Home Depot and get them to cut me a piece of metal to the right size? Will just a piece of sheet metal work?

If you don't need it to be flush and just want to cover the hole, Knock-out plugs exist in several sizes.
they're in the electrical supply area in the hardware stores

scene7spacer.gif

Or instead of punches, I'll just cut a couple of circles a bit larger and place them inside with some JB weld, then use Bondo on the bottom. Thanks.

The way we do it in industry is have a plate cut to cover the bottom of the panel and knock the holes out in the correct positipn on the plate. Countersink some stainless screws around the edges and it doesnt really look like a patch job

When I accidentally drilled holes with the wrong hole saw, I used a scrap piece of metal to cover the area of both holes and JB welded it. Then, I just re-drilled the holes with the correct bit. After painting it looked alright....helped that my mistake was underneath though, rather than on the front.

Check out my thread on "Mistakes I made while building Kals electric brewery"

Back