question about adding coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopeJuice

Reaction score
I transferred my 5gal oatmeal chocolate stout to secondary yesterday and I was all set to put about 2.5oz ground coffee from a local source into a dry hop bag and let do it's thing but now I am wondering how do I make sure it is sanitized? I know this is not the method some people use, but even with cold steeped coffee how do you make sure it is sanitized without ever boiling it? any insight is greatly appreciated!

As long as it is going into the secondary you should not have a problem. There is enough alcohol present to keep the nasties away. I routinely put spices, fruit etc. in my secondary with no treatment and have never had a problem.

If you are concerned you could always soak it in a little vodka before hand, but I honestly do not think you will have a problem.

The coffee was fresh from an unopened bag. I sanitized the bottle and the muslin bag with Starsan. I used bottled water for the cold steeping.

thanks for the help! is there any benefit to cold steeping and then adding to the brew? Seems like an extra step when I can just soak the coffee directly into the beer in a hop bag like I would to dry hop. I'm thinking probably 1 week in the bucket should extract enough of the coffee flavor i'm looking for without it tasting too stale.

My general rule of thumb is if I would put it in my mouth i will put it in my beer. If I would cook it first I would boil/sanitize.

Back