ESB, but with American yeast strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a solid extra special/strong bitter recipe that I'd like to try out with an American yeast strain, leaning towards the northwest ale strain, while it's hot outside. I've noticed the northwest and other American yeasts to be more tolerant of temps in the high 60s low 70s. I'm expecting an American pale or amber, but with the flavor of English extracts, grains and hops.
I'm wondering what results others who've done a similar brew have had?

it wouldn't be an "esb" but it would be this description.

esb is all about the yeast.

Oh I know that. That's the idea, to get an American pale/amber. I just wanted to play with the ESB recipe I have. It's great using 1098, fruity with a bit of toasted bread and great spicy/earthy hops. I think it could make a neat American ale, probably more of an amber as there's a teeny bit of chocolate malt in the specialty grains.

Yeah, I plan on starting mine in a couple hours. It's been almost six weeks since I last brewed, simply making a starter last night was exciting.
Here's what I'm brewing today:

5gal batch size

3# munton's extra light dme
3# munton's light dme
.8# British crystal/caramel 55L
.25# aromatic malt
.05# British chocolate malt

.7 oz challenger hops 7%aa @ FWH
.75 oz challenger @ 15 min
.75 oz EKG 5%aa @ 15 min
.75 oz challenger @ 2 min
.75 oz EKG @ 2 min

Wyeast 1332 northwest ale (1.5L starter)

est. O.G.-1.057 est. F.G-1.018
srm-12*L
IBU-35

I know it's a pretty solid recipe when brewed with 1098, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out with the 1332. That strain's quickly becoming my preferred house strain for American ales.
:rockin:

Or it's an ancient thread started by a n00b. Little bit more reading and I figured out that 1332 is about as English as it gets. It's Hale's Brewery (Seattle) house strain, they got it from an English brewery, Gales. In my limited experience with both yeasts, it's very similar to 1335 (Brit II), clean for an English, some bread, some mineral, not bad but after brewing with it a few more times since posting this I've not gone back to it. 1318 and 1968 have been better to me for British styles.

Latest posts

Back