Hop Spider Materials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
Are there any materials I shouldn't use to make a hop spider with a 5 gallon paint strainer? I've seen PVC models melt and deform. What about metal duct collars? They're larger and cheaper. It seems like it shouldn't matter if the metal isn't in contact with the wort.

You will have steam come into contact with the metal, condense, and drip back down into the wort, so it will have some contact. Whether or not its enough to effect the brew, not sure.

You can order the stainless steel ring from McMaster Carr, believe. Or you can just use the pvc, and replace that piece whenever it deforms too much. Its not like its that expensive.

I would do a search on this one. There's a lot of threads in the DIY section with stainless hop spider rings, stainless mesh instead of the nylon bags, etc.

My hop spider was made of a schedule 80 CPVC coupling after the schedule 40 PVC reducer melted on first use.

BrewThruYou said:
I would do a search on this one. There's a lot of threads in the DIY section with stainless hop spider rings, stainless mesh instead of the nylon bags, etc.

I will search some more, I was stuck using the HBT app on my phone and the search function is... is there even a search function on the app?

Anyway, I'm leaning toward using an aluminum springform pan, though I had forgotten about McMaster. I'll check it out.

Stick with Stainless to be safe IMO

My first attempt was with PVC and melted after 30 minutes

Try your local Kmart/Walmart/Biglots and look for a cheap stainless steel flour/sugar canister. Take off the top, cut out the bottom with an angle grinder and add your spider legs to that.

I found a set of 3 for about $10.00

Here's one I built with a garbgae disposal ring and some stainless steel bolts and nuts from Fastenal. Works great and all stainless.

039.jpg

Here's one I built with a garbage disposal ring and some stainless steel bolts and nuts from Fastenal. Works great and all stainless.

Did you order rod and nuts from Fastenal or did you walk into a brick and mortar and buy them? What did it cost if you do not mind me asking, the website only shows the wholesale price.

I got them at a brick and mortar. Just walked in and asked. I think the three bolts and 6 nuts were like $12.00. The SS garbage disposal ring was on sale at Lowes for $4.00.

Latest posts

Back