Stirplate fan not spinning fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
I'm thinking the problem is that I have a 12v fan(from computer) and only a 5v cell phone cord. I actually saw a video on youtube where a guy used a 12v fan and 5v cord and it seemed to work fine?

I actually have about 6 different cords and they are all 5v. Where else can I get cord if that's the problem?

12 V wall worts are a couple of bucks at a flea market, def worth the time and cash.
Bob

I'm running my DIY stirplate with a 5v cellphone charger and it works perfectly. It slows the fan down enough that I almost dont have to regulate the speed in large starters. Its up to you if you want to have a wider range of speeds or not.

I'm running my DIY stirplate with a 5v cellphone charger and it works perfectly. It slows the fan down enough that I almost dont have to regulate the speed in large starters. Its up to you if you want to have a wider range of speeds or not.

Same here. I get pretty good stirring action with my 5V power cord. I agree, though, that if it's not running fast enough for you, then upgrading to a 12V cord from any of the above mentioned sources should do the trick.

local goodwill or salvation army stores have them - and you might already, if you dig around - old cell phone chargers???

It does not have to spin fast, you're only keeping the yeast in suspension. Some folks make starters without a stir plate - they just swirl the flask every time they pass by it...

I use a 3-12 volt variable voltage transformer that I had laying around. It allows me to change the voltage and speed by changing the voltage switch. I normally keep it on 4.5v for a 2L starter.

You can buy these anywhere for about $10 -- just look for a universal DC charger

Back