Decent Long Stem Digital Therm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
Anyone using or know of a decent long stem digital thermometer? I searched and found a couple references, but not a lot of discussion/feedback on them.

Thanks for the info!

I haven't looked back after switching to this. I've calibrated it a couple of times and it's been spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got this one in my Amazon wish list... More for use when I make a thermowell so that I can easily see what the temp inside the wort really is... I did get a liquid thermo that I've seen other brewers using for my mash temps last time I was at the LHBS... Haven't had a chance to use it yet, so we'll see how it does.

I've got this one in my Amazon wish list... More for use when I make a thermowell so that I can easily see what the temp inside the wort really is... I did get a liquid thermo that I've seen other brewers using for my mash temps last time I was at the LHBS... Haven't had a chance to use it yet, so we'll see how it does.

Accuracy of ±1.8°F?

Accuracy of ±1.8°F?

Temp range (° F): -58 to 572°

±1.8°F won't be bad when used in a thermowell for fermentation temps. I wouldn't use it for mashing though. Since ~2F can make a significant difference. But, who knows how close the traditional thermometers are?

I'm also looking for something to use to cross reference the mash temps. But, finding something that won't be ruined by the steam coming off the mash, or also work in the kettle isn't so easy. I had one that was made for oil/candy making that got destroyed after just a few batches (used as they said it should/could be)... Won't make that mistake again.

This one is close to 12", and is accurate to within 1F...

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt610b_12+24.html

What about this bad larry? Anyone use it? Looks spiffy to me. I desperately need a new thermo as well but can't bring myself to shell out the bills for a thermapen. I figure this is a thermoworks product as well and reasonably priced...

Same "±1.8°F" accuracy as the one I posted earlier... If you're using it where a ~2F shift won't matter, fine... But if you're looking to use it for mashing, I would go with something more accurate. Would probably be fine for fermenting temp readings.

shhhh....don't tell my wife, I just bought a thermapen. it was $84 out the door from king arthur flour with a promo code found onlline.

Latest posts

Back