Residue at the bottom of the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMoney

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has some good sugestions on how to clean out the deposits on the bottom of the glass bottles before reuse, or does it matter?

I soaked the bottls in dish soapy water for a couple days, rinsed, and then ran through the dishwasher. I of course will use a sanitizer before i put new beer into then, but what do I need to do to get the residue out?

Thanks for your help guys.

I am curious if anyone has some good sugestions on how to clean out the deposits on the bottom of the glass bottles before reuse, or does it matter?

I soaked the bottls in dish soapy water for a couple days, rinsed, and then ran through the dishwasher. I of course will use a sanitizer before i put new beer into then, but what do I need to do to get the residue out?

Thanks for your help guys.

Rinse the bottles right after use and you wont have a build up to contend with.

I do, immediately after use. But regardless, the residue is there. Any suggestions on how to remove it?

PBW for a couple days, followed by a good scrubbing with a bottle brush and then rinse them, if you have a bottle washer attachment for your sink, use it, otherwise, rinse well. If that doesn't do it, just get some different bottles, as it'll be something you'll fight for a while.

If I ever have ANY visible gunk on the bottom of a bottle I toss it in the recycle bin. New, clean bottles cost $.50 at the lhbs. I won't soak, scrub and rescrub a bottle just to save $.50. If anyone ever handed me a dirty bottle and offered me $.50 to clean it for him I'd tell him where to go. It's not worth it to me, but, to each his own. For what it's worth, it is almost never an issue for most of us, because immediately rinsing after pouring is very effective.

If you rinse right after pouring the beer you can get rid of it. The key is to rinse with hot water 3 times. Shake it up and stuff too - has never failed me yet.

+5 on that... I do it after every pour from a bottle, or as soon as I can (if not at home)... Hasn't failed me yet on any bottles... I have yet to find a bottle brush that can fit through the Grolsch bottle openings, so I have to rinse (no dishwasher here)...

You can also get the jet bottle washers that connect up to the sink faucet... I've not tried one of those yet, but I hear good things about them...

If you rinse right after pouring the beer you can get rid of it. The key is to rinse with hot water 3 times. Shake it up and stuff too - has never failed me yet.

This man got it right....hot water 3 times, shake the hell out of it, empty it let it dry upside down....never have build up in my bottles! :D

I rinse the bottles with water right after I pour the beer into the glass. Makes sanitation a breeze. Nice clean bottles....

NRS

what is pbw?

PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash)
PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) is a patented alkali cleaner originally developed for Coors. PBW is designed to act as a soak or manual cleaner.
Simply let dirty items soak overnight in PBW solution. After rinsing the next morning they will be shiny and clean. Never Scrub Again! PBW can effectively clean items that can't be reached with a brush or sponge, and is strong enough to remove impossibly thick, difficult, baked on soils.
PBW is environmentally friendly, biodegradable, and will not harm the 'friendly' bacteria in your septic system

what is pbw?
Powdered Brewery Wash, made by Five Star Chemical. Good for cleaning my fermenter and carboy after a batch. If I have bottles that have reached their limit of usefulness, I just toss 'em and go get a 12er of something good from the local Beer Store. Usually Schell's, as the source is only about 25 miles from me! Then I can "earn" those new bottles! :mug:

Tell SWMBO, roomate, etc. that there's a diamond stuck in the residue but it won't come out... Plus, you're not sure which of all the bottles it's in... :D Maybe she'll be able to get it out for you... :mug:

I know, it's evil, but hey, at least those suckers will be clean... :D

I rinse each night, then soak them a batch worth at a time in hot water and oxyclean for a few hours. The come out perfectly clean and the labels usually fall right off (depending on the brand) as well, so it's a win-win.

if i ever have any visible gunk on the bottom of a bottle i toss it in the recycle bin. New, clean bottles cost $.50 at the lhbs. I won't soak, scrub and rescrub a bottle just to save $.50. If anyone ever handed me a dirty bottle and offered me $.50 to clean it for him i'd tell him where to go. It's not worth it to me, but, to each his own. For what it's worth, it is almost never an issue for most of us, because immediately rinsing after pouring is very effective.

if you rinse right after pouring the beer you can get rid of it. The key is to rinse with hot water 3 times. Shake it up and stuff too - has never failed me yet.

+100

Back