Water needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
I am brewing a nice HEFE tomorrow, but this time I would like to do an acid rest and a protein rest. Can someone help me with the amount of water I should use for each of these 2 additional steps that I haven't ever done before? What I am asking is what amount per grain pounds is needed for each of these steps so I can adjust my Sacch. rest and then sparge based on these 2 additional steps.

Thanks so much!! :mug:

Okay, maybe I am confused on what you posted here!

I can figure out via ProMash the temps needed and so forth, I am just trying to figure out the amount of water per pound of grain I should use for the first 2 steps ( Acid & Protein rests). My grist bill is 11lbs.

Thanks

If you are infusion mashing (which I think you are), you want to start with a thick mash: 1 qt per pound or maybe even thicker (.8 or .9 Qt/lb).

By the time you get stepped up to your saccrification rest, you'll have a thin mash--closer to 2 qts/lb.

This mashes tend to yield more fermentable worts than thick mashes, so you might even consider bumping your saccrification rest temp up a couple degrees to comensate for this.

Keep in mind, if you don't have a something bigger than a 5 gallon cooler you won't have enough room.

Okay, so if I am understanding you correctly then........I start off with around 8.8 qts for the acid rest, then 8.8 quarts for the protein rest, then the rest of the water that I would normally use goes in to make up the whole wort amount for the sacch. rest? Is this correct? Thanks for the help!!

GABrewboy said:
I have a 64 qrt color, so plenty of room!! :D

Good deal. I'd hate to see anyone go through the first two rests on brew day only to find they can't mash lol.

GABrewboy said:
Okay, so if I am understanding you correctly then........I start off with around 8.8 qts for the acid rest, then 8.8 quarts for the protein rest, then the rest of the water that I would normally use goes in to make up the whole wort amount for the sacch. rest? Is this correct? Thanks for the help!!

Not quite.

Say you start out with 9 qts strike water for your acid rest. That's a very thick .82 qts/lb. Let's say you rest at 100°.

If your protein rest is going to be at 125°, it will take about 3.2 qts of boiling water to get you to that temp. So you now have 12.2 qts water and 11lbs of grain in your tun: you've decreased your mash thickness to 1.11 qts/lb.

And you'll decrease your thickness again when you infuse water to get up to your saccrification rest. And again when you mash out (if you do a mash out).

Wow, this is getting a little too confusing now.......is it worth it to do these steps then when brewing a Hefe?

GABrewboy said:
Wow, this is getting a little too confusing now.......is it worth it to do these steps then when brewing a Hefe?

Well, only you can answer that. It's not brain surgery, after all. You can do all the calculations with that site I linked (or ProMash or whatever) and a calculator to recalculate the mash ratio (qts/lb) at each step.

Okay I think I have it figured out now.......:D

ProMash has me at this:

Acid Rest : 9.13 qrts @ 114 strike temp and ratio is .83
Protein Rest: 2.01 qrts @ 210 strike temp and ratio is 1.01
Sacc.: 6.67 qrts @ 210 strike temp and ratio is 1.62

Total into the mash is 4.45 gallons

Back