Help with a potential CO2/beergas tank leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner11

Reaction score
I carbed my stout with my CO2 tank and attached the 75/25 beer gas tank to the keg. Set the regulator to 30PSI and opened the valve. I can hear the gas going in like normal, but the sound does not completely disappear and if you put your ear near the regulator you can hear a slight audible hiss like a leak. It only makes this noise when I open the valve that is attached to the gas line. I have checked all around that seal and the regulator itself for leaks and can not find any. I have used a soap solution all over the gas line tubing seal and the regulator and can not find anything. The tank shows about 125 bar fill at the moment and the gauge went down a little 1 bar or so when on for about 10 minutes. I am not sure from experience is that is a normal decrease due to the gas going into the keg or it is leaking. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is this a new regulator? If so check the regulator itself with soapy solution. Front back, everywhere. When i first got mine it had a hairline crack in it leaking gas, not necessarily near a connection.

also there is supposed to be a gasket between the regulator and the tank. did you put that in?

I don't have one on mine and it doesn't leak. the OP needs to check everything. it sounds like the leak is fairly fast(which is good). it shouldn't be that hard to find with gas leak detector.

Crap!!! Thanks for the replies! I thought I had sorted it out and reattached the gas line, and clamped it again and could not hear any leak. Soapy water, did not see any bubbles. Tank gauge seemed to be holding steady. Left to go eat dinner, came back and the tank was empty!!! Gutted, as the place where I took it to get it filled has to send it out to get filled and it takes over a week. Was hoping to serve it this weekend at my daughters baptism reception.

I get mine filled at a local place called A&B fire saftey. They install fire extinguishers and stuff for restaurants, ect. You might find a place like that.

My local NAPA autoparts store does CO2 swaps, and it looks like you have a few of those in a 10 mile radius..

Back