Dry, Crisp, Non-Malty IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
What are some commercial examples of an IPA, or IIPA, that is not-malty, crisp, light in color, and with thin mouth feel?

I couldn't find any at my local beer shop that were dry enough for me, so I brewed my own - it came out great but I'm still looking to buy a commercial version when I run out and to compare to.

the dryest I've found at the bar was victory hop devil, greenflash ipa, and caldera ipa - but even those were too malty for what im looking for.

Pliny the Elder is the classic example of what you are describing.

That is a great example, but Pliny is a Double/Imerial IPA. Stone is pretty close to what you want probably.

I recently brewed a light crisp IPA, I used very little caramel malt (90% 2-row and 10% 20L). I used .5 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe for 60min and .5 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe for 15min, then dry hopped with 1oz each of the two in the primary after about 3 days after pitching. This is the key in my mind to make a great IPA and getting that dry mouth feel/taste.

yeah, i like stone ipa, a lot. Stone ruination, however, is too malty....like most double ipas.

to get a dry and thin IPA, I've had success using German Pilsner for the majority of the malt bill, using 10L crystal as my only crystal malt, mashing low, and hoping my yeast over attenuates. I've heard throwing in some corn sugar does the trick too....

any other tips?

Latest posts

Back