Thoughts on Recipe: Orange Blossom Special

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
I wanted to do a hefeweizen for my next brew (extract) before I get the rest of my equipment together for an all-grain experiment, so I went to the LHBS this afternoon to see what ingredients I could pick up. After browsing around a little, I decided to combine a few ideas I have seen into a slightly experimental recipe to see what happens...

Orange Blossom Special (Style: Slightly Unidentified)

6 lbs Wheat DME
1/2 oz Amarillo Hops (8%) @ 30 mins
3/4 oz Sweet Orange Peels @ 5 mins
1 lb Orange Blossom Honey @ flame out
WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale Yeast

EST OG: 1.059
EST FG: 1.014
EST Color: 7.1 SRM
EST IBU: 11.0

Any thoughts on this?

I have been wanting to brew a wheat with a citrus hop aroma. Keep us posted!

I have everything I need to make it ready to go but it will probably be next weekend before I get it made. I bought the hardware I need to build my immersion chiller, so I hope to get that built and tested this afternoon. If everything goes well there I will cook this recipe next weekend and get it in the fermenter.

That's eerily similar to a batch I have in primary. Except I went more of the braggot route, as in half honey have wheat LME. Same honey and hops though.

I did make a clover/wheat lme braggot before, without the late addition hop....which is why I did the late addition hop this time. Still great, though. Weird thing is, after about 6 months, it's cleared.

This Saturday will be two weeks in the primary. Just gave the primary a shake, and the airlock emission....:D

Back