Raleigh St. Patty's Day Lunch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston

Reaction score
I know it's short notice but Walker and I thought Friday would be as good a day as any to get together for lunch. Maybe find a place that'll be serving corned beef and cabbage and draft Guinness/Harp/Murphy's. So what if the SWMBOs make us sleep on the couch Friday night. Who's in? :ban:
Jeff

Man, I was actually planning to hit the James Joyce in Durham for a quick Irish lunch and a few pints, but my Friday has been totally screwed up by near continuous meetings. If anything changes I'll notify.

FYI: the Imperial SWMBO and Imperial Spawn are planning to join us.

I'm celebrating St Patty's Day early by drinking one of my precious few remaining stouts right now.

mmmmmmmmmmmm......

-walker

Hey all you NC guys, are you planning on going to the Hickory Hops festival on April 22? Might be a way to get some of use from the southeast to meet.

flhrpi said:
Hey all you NC guys, are you planning on going to the Hickory Hops festival on April 22? Might be a way to get some of use from the southeast to meet.
A number of us are hitting the World Beer Festival in Raleigh the following weekend. I know I won't be able to do both, but I have heard the Hickory festival is a nice one. I'm also the local fanboy for the Asheville Brewgrass festival, but I won't be able to attend that one this year, either.

That might be doable, could be a great bike ride. I am getting ready to leave my job of over 27 yrs and am in the process of getting another, if it goes past this date I might be able to make it. I love a good beer fest.

FYI: BOSTON and I (and the Imperial Family) are meeting at Hibernian on Glenwood at 11:45. (In case BeeGee decides he can sneak out for a pint.)

-walker

Man, my Outlook calendar looks like a tile floor today. I'm on a call right now and start a 3hr interview process at 9, so I'm lost for the cause. Funny though, 'cause I'm heading to the Hibernian with some colleagues after work for a couple.

DO NOT drink all the Guinness! And put my name on a table when you leave.

Slainte guys!

I'll be hoisting one for you around 2pm today. Heading to place called O'Tooles. Been friends with the family that owns it for years.

btw-LOL at the coined term "Imperial SWMBO"......

Baron von BeeGee said:
DO NOT drink all the Guinness! And put my name on a table when you leave.

Don't worry, Billy... we'll just drink up the rest of the old keg that has probably been on tap for a few days. You'll likely have a freshly tapped one by the time you get there.

-walker

I must say that I wasn't terribly impressed with Hibernian's Beef&Cabbage.

Jeff, SWMBO, and my kids all had fish&chips, and that looked like a better choice.

The Guinness stew looked tastey, too, but SWMBO is cooking up an Irish dinner using some of my stout tonight, so I passed on a mean with beer in it for lunch.

:off:

I've got to dig up my family crest and post it. The Walker's are irish. (My dad swears we're from England, but the research I did on the crest and the original Walker's that came over with William Penn says otherwise.)

edit: Ah.. it was right here on my laptop:

1917-walker_crest.gif

I've seen my family crest from England at my grandmother's but haven't done any research. My grandmother was really into geneaology (sp?), but since she's passed nobody knows where her research is?

My father has a Confederate cavalry saber that was found inside a wall at one of our family's homesteads in VA.

My great aunt (still alive) is big into the geneaology thing and has oodles of information. That's the only way I traced things back to William Penn. However, I have no info beyond this (on the other side of the pond) other than the coat of arms.

The three moons represent three sons in the family. The wall across the middle symbolizes that they were guardians/soldiers in the city where they lived.

The image above is missing the motto, but it's: Non sine periculo. (Not without danger.)

Actually... looking over some of the notes I took, the name "Walker" in ireland was brought into the country from English immigrants, so I guess my Dad is ultimately correct, but the coat of arms was not created until those Walker's were residing in Ireland.

At least I know that I'm supposed to be drinking Ales, no matter what. :D

-walker

Fish 'n chips & 2 pints of Guinness. Brilliant!
Walker, you have a beautiful family, it was a pleasure to meet them. Your kids are adorable. Thanks for the beer sampler, I have them chilling for weekend consumption.
jeff

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Fish 'n chips & 2 pints of Guinness. Brilliant!
Walker, you have a beautiful family, it was a pleasure to meet them. Your kids are adorable.

Thanks! I made them myself!

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Thanks for the beer sampler, I have them chilling for weekend consumption.
jeff

I'd like to know what you think of the stout. Brutal honestly, please....

-walker

Back