Iodine use for test on the must

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank1598

Reaction score
Hi,

I read in a book that we can test if there is still some starch in our must with Iodine. The autor said in the book that we have to take a sample of our must and we put a couple of drop on the sample and if it turn blue or purple it means that there is still some starch, but the iodine to the natural is solide so I would like to know in witch solution I have to take the Iodine to do this test.

Thank you all

Francis

Hi,

I read in a book that we can test if there is still some starch in our must with Iodine. The autor said in the book that we have to take a sample of our must and we put a couple of drop on the sample and if it turn blue or purple it means that there is still some starch, but the iodine to the natural is solide so I would like to know in witch solution I have to take the Iodine to do this test.

Thank you all

Francis

You can check for conversion my putting a couple of drops on wort onto a piece of chalk and then adding a drop of iodophor. It is the easiest way to check for conversion.

frank1598 said:
Hi,

Thank you all

Francis

That only works for mashing grain (making beer/wort) not for making a must. No starches are present when making wine/mead. Not sure what book you're reading, but if he says to use it on a must, I would suspect everything in that book as being inaccurate.

BTW, it's which solution, not witch solution. Unless you're making a 'witch beer'... :rolleyes:

You can just buy an iodine solution at the pharmacy. It is used to disinfect wounds.
If you really want to make your own, I think it is usually a 2% by weight solution (in water).

Are you talking about wort or must? Wort, which yeast will ferment into BEER, is NOT the same as a must. A must is a wine before it starts fermenting. Wort is made by converting a starch into sugars for yeast to consume and produce alcohol. A must is made from something that's already a sugar (fruit, honey, etc.) that's then fermented into alcohol.

IF the book used the incorrect terms, then I'd toss it (or return it if possible) and get one that was either written by someone that knows what he's talking about, or the editors were better. If YOU typed the wrong thing, then you need to read up on all the differences between the two. The terms are NOT for the same thing.

Hey, English isn't the guy's first language. How's your French?

Anyway, the traditional tincture of iodine was about 2% in an alcohol solution (that's why it's called a tincture). You can dissolve it in water by adding potassium iodide and I imagine many of the tinctures did not use straight alcohol and so probably had some KI in them.

Hey, English isn't the guy's first language. How's your French?

Anyway, the traditional tincture of iodine was about 2% in an alcohol solution (that's why it's called a tincture). You can dissolve it in water by adding potassium iodide and I imagine many of the tinctures did not use straight alcohol and so probably had some KI in them.

How am I supposed to know what the guy's first language is? I'm not psychic you know. :p

BTW, wort and must are VERY different words with completely different meanings. It would be akin to calling a car a bike. I don't care what your first language is.

done with this thread.

How am I supposed to know what the guy's first language is? I'm not psychic you know. :p

BTW, wort and must are VERY different words with completely different meanings. It would be akin to calling a car a bike. I don't care what your first language is.

done with this thread.

It was pretty clear that English was not his first language (I'm not saying his English is bad either, he just phrased a couple of things in a way that most English speakers wouldn't (and forgot to make a couple of things plural).) It's not a matter of being psychic. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to start an argument, I just thought I'd comment since you seem to be upset at AJ's comment.

Francis,

Another possibility for getting the Iodine is the farm/feed store. I'm not sure if it is the same where you are, but in the US it is used as a wash for the udder of the cow before milking.

http://www.efarmsupply.co.nz/tdc-iodine-teat-clean-plus.html

When I do this test, I put a small drop of the Iodine solution onto a white plate, like a dinner plate or tea cup saucer, and then a drop of the wort. The white background makes it very easy to see the color difference and the plate comes clean with just a wipe of a rag.

Back