Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shooter said:
Most of my pipes are dedicated to catgories, aromatic, latakia/English, Virginia/VaPer or Lakeland. The only pipe I've ever dedicated to a single blend was a pony cob dedicated to 1792 Flake.

I think I'll do that, although I'm very tempted to dedicate my Boswell to Boswell's Best blend. Of course then I'd have to buy more pipes...

I keep a pipe for cased blends (pretty much just cherry, and I can't find the cherry I used to love anymore), a couple for Balkans, and one for Perique, and the rest for mixtures.

I'm just getting back to smoking a pipe- gonna try to put an axe to the cigs soon. Lo and behold, I find this in my closet at my part time law office gig:

CameraZOOM-20121023112028798_zps06a27491.jpg

All of these tins were purchased right before I re-started cigarettes, and therefore cut way back on pipe smoking. MacBaren Latakia Blend, Vintage Syrian (!), and Club Blend. Orlik Scotch Type. Alyesbury Scottish Blend. Bentley (just found that the pouch in the tin is sealed with a sticker...grr...). Cornell & Diehl Kajun Kake, Sunset Harbor Flake, Autumn Evening, and Ten Russians. W.O. Larsen Classic.

At least all but the Bentley are completely sealed, so this stuff should be nice and aged. They were packaged between 05-07. And the prices...well...times have changed, but I got these at about 25% below 2007 retail from a fellow who shut down a tobacco shop.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I wanted to stop by with my $0.02. Since I went to college in Boston, I got used to the blends at L.J. Peretti and I get it shipped out to California pretty cheaply. Great blends and cheap shipping, but they get a little dried out in the mail and flakes don't usually make it intact.

It was really tempting to order the cherry sampler but I don't recall ever trying a cherry blend so I opted for the Captain Black sampler instead which has a Black Cherry pouch. I've tried the white, which is great blended with Prince Albert.

Regarding cherry- I've only found one that didn't have either an oily taste or an overly sweet taste. The best one I had was a uniform color, I think maybe all Burley. It had the best tart cherry taste you can imagine. It came from a shop in Ft Lauderdale- it might have been a blend from one of the bulk manufacturers, but none I've ever tried came close. (The shop also sold the common Altadis stuff if I recall)

No worries Dan. I'm glad you like the tobacco. There was a reason it stuck out in my mind after 10 years!

Cheers!

Like it? I love it! I smoked 3 bowls last night and I don't think I had a single cigarette all evening, which is impressive for me. Thanks again!

Bad news... Shank on my churchwarden is cracked and growing. Going to have to give that pipe a rest until I can take it into the city for repair. Feels weird to pay at least 20 bucks if not more to repair a 60 dollar pipe though. It's the one I was planning on dedicating to English blends too so now have to take a hiatus.

Any of you guys dedicate pipes to blends? I want to but I also don't have enough pipes to do so and don't feel like dropping the cash to load up on more.

That sucks. Hope you can get it fixed cheaply. I'm still working on my first (and only) pipe, so every tobacco goes in. I've been looking at some of the pipes made by the father and son who run one of the shops downtown make, and I was thinking of using one for the more mild smokes and one for the English/latakia smokes.

Also- do any of you know an online retailer with bulk tobacco for blending? I'd like to try my hand at making a good smokey balkan blend.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Like it? I love it! I smoked 3 bowls last night and I don't think I had a single cigarette all evening, which is impressive for me. Thanks again!

That sucks. Hope you can get it fixed cheaply. I'm still working on my first (and only) pipe, so every tobacco goes in. I've been looking at some of the pipes made by the father and son who run one of the shops downtown make, and I was thinking of using one for the more mild smokes and one for the English/latakia smokes.

Downtown Chicago or St. Louis? My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on spending the day in the Iwan Ries smoke lounge watching football. I know they're family owned. Would be happy to check out any pipes or tobacco and get them over to you if you're interested.

Downtown Chicago or St. Louis? My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on spending the day in the Iwan Ries smoke lounge watching football. I know they're family owned. Would be happy to check out any pipes or tobacco and get them over to you if you're interested.

I was looking at pipes at Lewis Pipe here in Mpls. Small place, but they make some nice pipes. I checked out the website for Iwan Ries & Co., that place looks amazing! I know I've poked my head in there back when I lived in the 'burbs, may have even bought a cigar or two there, but it was before I'd gotten into pipe smoking so I didn't pay attention at all.

Oh right for some reason I thought you were in St. Louis...

Woah some of those pipes look awesome. I like the tobacco leaf ones.

Oh right for some reason I thought you were in St. Louis...

Thankfully, no, but come January, I may wish I was. :D

I'll have to poke around on the Iwan Reis site, it looks like they carry absolutely everything. That's what I miss most about the big old city, you get those places that've been there since our great great grandfathers were alive, and they cater to every one. I also really miss that area of downtown, grabbing a cigar (or a killer sandwich or dog) and a beer and soaking in Michigan Ave or Grant Park. I used to commute right through there, Metra train into downtown, then walk to the South Shore line to go to the south burbs. I'd walk right down Madison and I'd often stop down in that area for lunch/dinner or a beer. Thanks for mentioning that shop, my wife keeps bugging me to take her to the Art Institute (she's never beer to the great one, and is a grad from the AI of Mpls) and the kids on the Science and Industry Museum/Aquarium/Planetarium rounds. So we'll be there soon. :rockin:

Also really like that area, lot of hidden gems. Glad I could help, and now you have a stop on the family return to Chicago! I haven't been in yet but it looks pretty awesome. I'll let you know in a few weeks and like I said if you're interested in anything or want me to snap a few pics of pipes let me know.

FYI, I placed order for the previously mentioned tins through pipesandcigars.

Within an hour of clicking submit i had confirmation that the order had shipped minus one tin on backorder. A short call was placed and a higher priced substitution was comped at the ordered price.

If any of you are at Iwan Ries and want another smoker to chat with or just want to grab a beer, let me know. I can usually head over as long as I'm not too busy at work. It's only a block away.

Also really like that area, lot of hidden gems. Glad I could help, and now you have a stop on the family return to Chicago! I haven't been in yet but it looks pretty awesome. I'll let you know in a few weeks and like I said if you're interested in anything or want me to snap a few pics of pipes let me know.

Definitely will. I stopped at Lewis today and picked up a couple ozs, a B&B blend and English Supreme which is mostly latakia, so with that and the McBaren's, I'm set on tobacco. I'd like to see some of the briars, it sounds like they have an incredible selection of pipes. I'll let ya know.

If any of you are at Iwan Ries and want another smoker to chat with or just want to grab a beer, let me know. I can usually head over as long as I'm not too busy at work. It's only a block away.

Ace, I will most definitely take you up on that offer next time I come home to Chicago for a visit.

I'm really digging on this Eng. Supreme. I was torn between this and their Balkan, and I'm glad I chose this one. It's a very nice smoke to enjoy with a good beer as I reacquaint myself with my recliner. :pipe:

I will try different tobaccos in time. Seems like I did that enough though many years ago, but will probably try a few more times.

I must admit I'm back with my old favorite again, the Virginia #1. And to that - each their own.

I experimented with cherry first (my dad was a TinderBox Anniversary Special dieheard, I think a vanilla cherry burley blend) which smells great but taste like crap according to my palate.

There was a tobacco I used to buy in tins, it was called Plumcake, probably from Mac Barens cause I am their fan. Very moist tobacco. I think with proper aging it smoked well. Proper aging when I first smoked a pipe meant I didn't like it at the time, set it aside and out of desperation for some pipe tobacco gave it a try a year or so later and then it went from mouth burning, tongue stinging hot; to mellow and smooth, very nice smoke!

When I first smoked a pipe I had no idea the tobacco actualy got better with age. Was so stuck on keeping it moist. Pipe tobacco should not be to moist, it takes time to become really good. Which is sort of like smoking a pipe and making beer, they both take patience. It's something I've learned over the years.

I've rambled enough.

Rambling appreciated. Being a cigar smoker, my instinct is to keep the tobacco fresh and moist, and it's nice to know that's not the case. What I have noticed is that there seems to be a balance, you don't want the smoke too moist, nor too dry, and you may even want to dry it a bit before packing and lighting.

I've also noticed, as I've been trying other tobaccos, that to me it's a lot like cigar smoking. Or even beer drinking for that matter There's a variety that I like, and when one is well made it's very enjoyable.

Rambling appreciated. Being a cigar smoker, my instinct is to keep the tobacco fresh and moist, and it's nice to know that's not the case. What I have noticed is that there seems to be a balance, you don't want the smoke too moist, nor too dry, and you may even want to dry it a bit before packing and lighting.

I've also noticed, as I've been trying other tobaccos, that to me it's a lot like cigar smoking. Or even beer drinking for that matter There's a variety that I like, and when one is well made it's very enjoyable.

I like to tend to moisture in storage pretty well, but I always load a pipe well in advance to let it dry out prior to smoking. Often, I'll load each pipe and set them aside for a day or two.

Yeah its one of those things that I'm sure there is an RH that is ideal; however, I have just learned by feel. Last pipe I packed I knew it was too wet, but I wasn't about to wait for it to dry out and sure enough the bubbly slurping started up pretty quick. Oh well, it could have been worse, I could have been out of leaf instead :).

rifraf said:
Any of you guys dedicate pipes to blends? I want to but I also don't have enough pipes to do so and don't feel like dropping the cash to load up on more.

I have 3: aromatic, non aromatic, and one blend specific for my favorite Virginia flake. I can imagine 2 working out fine if you like both aromatic and non aromatic.

You shouldn't need a lot of pipes if you don't switch blends a lot, or if you don't mind the taste when you do switch.

EDIT: clarification

Heresy! Prince Albert is always available at WalGreens, or Homeland. And it's actually a good smoke.

I like Prince Albert as well. It's a mild smoke and I find if flavorful enough. I just realized my tobacco preference is completely different when it comes to cigars. I mentioned earlier in this thread my favorite cigar is Bolivar Confradia and it's anything but mild.

Hmm, go figure? :pipe:

I like Prince Albert as well. It's a mild smoke and I find if flavorful enough. I just realized my tobacco preference is completely different when it comes to cigars. I mentioned earlier in this thread my favorite cigar is Bolivar Confradia and it's anything but mild.

Pretty strange indeed considering you are a virginia fan and PA is a cased Burley.

Well, you know, sometimes you want a nice mild ale and sometimes a RIS :)

Ayup. Makes for a hefty collection of tin doesn't it?

And, if you can't get to a mild or a RIS. The Budweiser of tobacco will always do a pinch.

I'm much more a cigar smoker...around 75 sticks in my humi...and have around 5 different types of pipe tobacco, so not too much; but, I suppose not bad for someone that smokes only a couple times a month. The nice thing about that is I can afford the higher quality stuff, so no Bud for me :D

I like to tend to moisture in storage pretty well, but I always load a pipe well in advance to let it dry out prior to smoking. Often, I'll load each pipe and set them aside for a day or two.

I load up before smoking too, not days, but hours. I also like to let the bowl rest and die after the first light. And I've been taking to paper drying the moister tobaccos I've been trying, if I don't, they make noise and don't burn well.

Heresy! Prince Albert is always available at WalGreens, or Homeland. And it's actually a good smoke.

Agreed. PA is good stuff. It was the first pouch I bought when I decided to give pipe smoking a try again. Followed by Captain Black Royal, which I also liked a lot. To me, pipe tobacco has been like cigars in the sense that I like many different kinds. I love the Virginia tobacco so far, it's a nice mellow smoke and great for anytime, but I also love things like Burly and latakia heavy blends. I'm a total n00b when it comes to pipes though.

Bowl of Boswell and a glass of Bourbon County Stout on tap! Making of a good night.

Ha! Nice, foggy night in the Windy, I'd assume? Can't beat that. We had a (rare) day like that here today. Couldn't see the tops of the buildings and it rained. Reminded me of home.

HPIM1254.jpg
I'm enjoying a beverage with my English tobacco tonight. A very enjoyable combination. :mug:

Wish you guys could stop by the house, pull a beer from the kegerator (oops that will have to wait until late November) and we all hang out smoking and drinking a few homebrews.

Wish you guys could stop by the house, pull a beer from the kegerator (oops that will have to wait until late November) and we all hang out smoking and drinking a few homebrews.

Sometimes I wish my dad wasn't so straight laced. Doesn't drink, or smoke. I'm glad he's so healthy, but at times I'd love to show him some of my brews and enjoy a pipe.

That would be fun Dan.

I've been uber lazy about brewing over the last year. All this pipe smoking is getting me in the mood to brew again. Nothing like the smell of a good pipe and boiling malt filling the room.

Even though I don't smoke anymore, I just had a vision of having a homebrew and a pipe at Dan's house, and suddenly some of the stress of my New York job dissipated.

Just won a tobacco PIF over at B&B. I wonder what kind of goodies I'm going to get.

I'm also intrigued by this Virginia No. 1. I'll have to stop into Iwan Ries and pick some up tomorrow.

Back