The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Chelsea win the Euro! (Barely) I'm no Chelsea fan, but I'm very pleased they beat those Germans. Those barstewards bombed my grandad's fish and chip shop! :(

What an exciting Champions League Final! Chelsea played a little thuggish - or as the English commentators always say, with determination and character.

But they won in very dramatic fashion - good for them!

It was their destiny. I'm a barca fan, but Chelsea's playin style won in the end. Good for them.

Do they automatically qualify for UCL next year as champs? I don't think they finished in qualifying position in the epl right?

Tottenham loses their spot to Chelsea. About $30 million lost. Tough blow.

I did like the keeper Neuer taking and making a penalty. Maybe he should have taken the one during the game rather than Robben :).

I am the only one that's getting annoyed with the abysmal player status updates for the Fantasy MLS game?

They seem to be horrible about indicating whenever a player is suspended and now I have two players displaying on international duty who looked completely fine whenever I checked my team yesterday...

Maybe the Fantasy EPL game has me spoiled, but I guess I'm just used to having the game warn me about potential roster issues rather than having to dig around on the internet every week to make sure one of my starters isn't mysteriously out.

aygov said:
I am the only one that's getting annoyed with the abysmal player status updates for the Fantasy MLS game?

They seem to be horrible about indicating whenever a player is suspended and now I have two players displaying on international duty who looked completely fine whenever I checked my team yesterday...

Maybe the Fantasy EPL game has me spoiled, but I guess I'm just used to having the game warn me about potential roster issues rather than having to dig around on the internet every week to make sure one of my starters isn't mysteriously out.

Beckerman has been listed as international duty on mine since tuesday evening.

EDIT: Also, wait until the end of the week. SWMBO has had two situations where she didn't switch out an injured player in time, he didn't play, but the Fantasy game did an auto switch for one of her subs.

I love Seattle (the city), but I was less than impressed with the behavior of the team and the fans during last night's match. Alonso should have seen a straight red for that tackle (how the official, standing right there looking at it, missed a two-footed studs-up tackle I'll never know), and the fans consistently booing players that needed medical attention (including on this tackle, and on one were the player was subbed off!) was... not pretty. I hope that fans at the stadium go back and look at the tape and feel bad, because they should.

Beckerman has been listed as international duty on mine since tuesday evening.

EDIT: Also, wait until the end of the week. SWMBO has had two situations where she didn't switch out an injured player in time, he didn't play, but the Fantasy game did an auto switch for one of her subs.

My subs will save me on one, however the other two subs I have are not regulars so I'm probably going without for one position.

Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy I checked my history and I did check my team sometime in the afternoon yesterday. I'm sure I would have noticed the red info box...

This seems to be something I've run into more and more especially with red card suspensions. I had Espinoza from Sporting KC on my team and watched him get a red red card and I waited a couple days to transfer him and he still hadn't generated an alert for being suspended. Definitely annoying.

Portland Timbers finally scored a goal on Sunday after four damn games of putting up nil. They actually got two goals which worries me because now they wont score again for another eight games I'm sure.

I went to one of these games and the Timber Army is almost too annoying to stand. They chant the dumbest ****. Bunch of hipsters in skinny jeans, euro shadow beards and scarves trying to be cute.

My subs will save me on one, however the other two subs I have are not regulars so I'm probably going without for one position.

Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy I checked my history and I did check my team sometime in the afternoon yesterday. I'm sure I would have noticed the red info box...

This seems to be something I've run into more and more especially with red card suspensions. I had Espinoza from Sporting KC on my team and watched him get a red red card and I waited a couple days to transfer him and he still hadn't generated an alert for being suspended. Definitely annoying.

On Tuesdays and Fridays (when the injury/eligibility lists get updated) when you check Fantasy Manager try doing a fresh reload on the browser (CTRL+F5 or CTRL+Left-click-on-reload-page-button)

I went to one of these games and the Timber Army is almost too annoying to stand. They chant the dumbest ****. Bunch of hipsters in skinny jeans, euro shadow beards and scarves trying to be cute.

I... wait, what? That's American soccer culture. I've watched EPL matches where they're getting beat and you could hear a pin drop in the stadium. MLS supporter groups (at least the ones worth a damn) sing and dance non-stop regardless of the results. You are a supporter of your club in good times and bad... that's the difference between a "supporter" and a "fan."

Timbers Army, Emerald City Supporters, Angel City Brigade, and The Cauldron have set the tone for supporter culture in America. Everybody should want to be that passionate.

And the dumb s*** you're talking about? You mean the chants they've kept since the 1970's? Or how they sing "You Are My Sunshine" in the 80th minute as a tribute to Timber Jims daughter who died in a car accident? Or how every match (again, regardless of results) in the 85th minute they sing "Can't Help Falling in Love"?

Yeah, showing complete and utter dedication to your city and club is just dumb. So is holding on to tradition.

EDIT: Oh, and the entirety of Timbers Army singing the National Anthem, gaining national attention and praise? Yeah, f*** that too.

Yea, I was wondering if my browser was caching some stuff and not updating it properly. Nice to know about the Tuesday/Friday thing.

Portland Timbers finally scored a goal on Sunday after four damn games of putting up nil. They actually got two goals which worries me because now they wont score again for another eight games I'm sure.

Wow... OK. I don't even... wow...

I... wait, what? That's American soccer culture. I've watched EPL matches where they're getting beat and you could hear a pin drop in the stadium. MLS supporter groups (at least the ones worth a damn) sing and dance non-stop regardless of the results. You are a supporter of your club in good times and bad... that's the difference between a "supporter" and a "fan."

Timbers Army, Emerald City Supporters, Angel City Brigade, and The Cauldron have set the tone for supporter culture in America. Everybody should want to be that passionate.

And the dumb s*** you're talking about? You mean the chants they've kept since the 1970's? Or how they sing "You Are My Sunshine" in the 80th minute as a tribute to Timber Jims daughter who died in a car accident? Or how every match (again, regardless of results) in the 85th minute they sing "Can't Help Falling in Love"?

Yeah, showing complete and utter dedication to your city and club is just dumb. So is holding on to tradition.

EDIT: Oh, and the entirety of Timbers Army singing the National Anthem, gaining national attention and praise? Yeah, f*** that too.

I didn't know any of that and I'm from here. I'm clearly not a soccer fan. I do watch the games to support my city's team. I now understand that they are honoring tradition and the chants aren't completely random. Still annoying as hell, sorry.

Oh, good grief Sepp!!

Now, I'm no fan of penalty shoot outs, but is it really all it takes for Sepp Blatter to look into changing it is a German team finally losing out to one?

"The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, has labelled penalty shoot-outs "a tragedy" and challenged Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/25/sepp-blatter-penalty-shoot-outs?newsfeed=true

So I personally have never liked shootouts either, I feel like a soccer game should be settled with, you know, soccer, vs just a narrow subset of the soccer skillset. Of course, you need to have some method of settling ties in a reasonable amoung of time. You can't have a 4 hour soccer game going on because no one can break the deadlock. Well, I mean, you can, but I don't know that anyone wants that. I can't even imagine how dead the players would be in a scenario like that.

Anyways, I would propose reducing the teams to something like 7-on-7 for extra time. Would significantly open the game, much easier to score goals. Of course, this would be an advantage to offensive minded teams vs park the bus defensive teams, but maybe that's a good thing.

BTW, Sepp has apparently been anti-PKs for a lot longer than since Bayern lost on them, at least according to to this random website: 'Sepp Blatter, President of FIFA, speaking on 27th September 2006 at a British-Swiss Chamber of Commerce event in Zurich signalled that penalty shoot-outs may be phased out by the time the next World Cup comes around. He said, “When it comes to the World Cup final, it is passion, and when it goes to extra time it is a drama. But when it comes to penalty kicks, it is a tragedy. … Football is a team sport and penalties are not for a team, it is the individual.”'

Oh, good grief Sepp!!

Now, I'm no fan of penalty shoot outs, but is it really all it takes for Sepp Blatter to look into changing it is a German team finally losing out to one?

"The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, has labelled penalty shoot-outs "a tragedy" and challenged Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/25/sepp-blatter-penalty-shoot-outs?newsfeed=true

It's because an English team won on PKs...

If the darlings at Barcelona would have won it would have been fine and dandy!

Everybody have fun this weekend. It's a busy one for MLS starting at 11:30am when the MLS Cup 2011 rematch occurs. Looking forward to this one after LA broke my heart against SJ on Wednesday.

My Chicago Fire travel to Columbus today, to see if we can make it nine points in three games. I understand the club helped organize a contingent of 700 Chicago fans who are going to Columbus - very cool. Also, the game is being broadcast tonight on the NBC affiliate, Channel 5, for the first time.

And Chris Rolfe may be cleared to play in this game.

Pappers_ said:
My Chicago Fire travel to Columbus today, to see if we can make it nine points in three games. I understand the club helped organize a contingent of 700 Chicago fans who are going to Columbus - very cool. Also, the game is being broadcast tonight on the NBC affiliate, Channel 5, for the first time.

This should actually prove to be a really good match. Both clubs have looked solid as of late (though a bit inconsistent.)

I'd forgotten that we had a token Fire fan. No offense, but do they always dive so often? I've had occasion to see the last three Fire games now, and Pappa and Nyarko can barely stay off the ground.

The Crew v Fire game was fun to watch last night - not the outcome I'd prefer but a good match with solid play and lots of drama.

As for diving, Pappa drives me crazy with his constant arguing with the refs and theatrics. Patrick, though, plays hard and fast and gets the crap beat out of him nightly - I didn't see any questionable theatrics from him last night.

Sean Johnson (Fire keeper) badly misplayed the Crew's first goal - he didn't protect his near post. The team brought in an Italian keeper who played earlier this season when Johnson was unavailable - I'd like to see more of him.

Last nights crew game was a blast. The wife and I went and of course sat with the hooligans. Awesome concert as well after.

Soccer match and a punk concert sounds like a damn good night.

Myself? Oh I just watched our reigning Cup Champions and Supporter Shield winners blow it for the 7th time in a row.

Even though I had to deal with the awful, cripping depression :)D) of supporting my crappy club no matter what, my day was most certainly brightened by USA dominating Scotland 5-1.

That's right, 5-1. Donovan had a hat-trick, an assist, and was a vital piece of another goal (I guess in hockey you'd call it a second assist.) Not only that but Michael Bradley had a CRACKER of a volley shot. Defensive middie my a** :)

That's right, 5-1. Donovan had a hat-trick, an assist, and was a vital piece of another goal (I guess in hockey you'd call it a second assist.) Not only that but Michael Bradley had a CRACKER of a volley shot. Defensive middie my a** :)

Exactly. Boy can score. That goal was nuts. The goal he scored in the WC to save the slovenia game was very nice.

I think some people forget that he scored 16 in a season with Heerenveen.

Soccer match and a punk concert sounds like a damn good night.
It was! :ban: :tank: :rockin:

Reno_eNVy said:
Not only that but Michael Bradley had a CRACKER of a volley shot. Defensive middie my a** :)
He's a tremendous box-to-box midfielder who, for some unfathomable reason, is completely underrated by US fans. We've tended to play him a little deeper, probably because of the rest of the personnel, but I cannot believe how much stick he's gotten because of who his dad is. He's IMO our third best outfield player - and much closer to the top two guys than the rest of the pack.

It was! :ban: :tank: :rockin:

He's a tremendous box-to-box midfielder who, for some unfathomable reason, is completely underrated by US fans. We've tended to play him a little deeper, probably because of the rest of the personnel, but I cannot believe how much stick he's gotten because of who his dad is. He's IMO our third best outfield player - and much closer to the top two guys than the rest of the pack.

What's really crazy about the nepotism folks is that some of them won't let go of it even now. I'w saw an argument today that he's just gotten that much better in the past year, that NOW he deserves all the PT, but before that he only played because his dad was coach. Simply nuts.

Back