BierStreet American Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierStreet

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wyeast 1056 or safale 05
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
17 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days @ 68 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days @ 68 F
Additional Fermentation
Kegged @ 40 F 10 psi 7 days
Tasting Notes
well balanced, easy to drink
9 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Munich
12 oz Crystal 120
8 oz Cara Pils
8 oz Melanoidin
<2 oz Roasted Barley 700L or 3oz 300L

Mash @ 155 F for 60min

70 min boil

1 oz Williamette 60 min
3/4 oz Williamette 10 min
Dry Hop 1/4 oz Williamette in secondary

You don't have to do a secondary or dry hop, we just wanted a little more hop aroma.
This is a pretty generic recipe so it can be tweaked here and there, but it turned out amazing and everyone we showed it to raved about it... really simple to brew too.
**note we kegged after the secondary ferment, bottled a few too**

How did the color turn out? I'm looking to make a hoppy red ale and I'm looking for a good malt base.

It was a tad on the dark side, but still a nice deep red when held up to the light. The malt profile really made this beer. We brewed a similar recipe but with 4 oz of williamette hops, 1 oz dry hopped and it really turned out good with a great hop aroma.

yeah either less crystal 120 or less roasted barley, there is really no "wrong" way to make a red ale lol. But in my opinion the best examples are well balanced, nice hop aroma and malty flavor with a hint of toffee or chocolate

Latest posts

Back